1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Cable advice for new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dougy_D, 27 Oct 2011.

1. Dougy_D

Dougy_D What's a Dremel?

Hi All,

Over the last few months, I have been gathering the components for my new build. This build is for video editing / gaming so no comments on i7-2600k please :p

Case: Corsair 600t Special White Edition
    CPU: i7 - 2600k
    Motherboard: ASUS P8-Z68-V
    Graphics Card: TBC
    Storage HDD: 2 x Samsung F3 1TB's (Raid 0 configuration)
    PSU: Corsair 750W Enthusiast Series TX750 Modular Power Supply (To be ordered)
    CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Advanced (To be Ordered)
    SSD: Corsair 128gb M4 (To be ordered)
    Optical Drives: 1 DVD & 1 Blur ray (both LG) (To be Ordered)

My question is that so far, I don't have many cables and as this is my first build, I am unsure as to exactly which cables / how long cables I need.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Doug

2. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I think the PSU cables will be long enough for a 600t.

What exactly do you mean by "I am unsure as to exactly which cables I need".

If you mean you don't know how to connect each cable from the PSU to the components then I suggest you watch some videos/read tutorials first and then come back here if you are still stuck.

3. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

all the cables you need will be with the things you've bought so dont worry, and with the psu, the cables are like 'square peg, round hole', they can only go in the slots which fit them, you'll work it out easily mate

4. Dougy_D

Dougy_D What's a Dremel?

I guess my question was more specific to the hard drives as my 2 Samsungs arrived yesterday with no cables with it. Would cables be provided with the case?

Bit of a n00b question I know but don't want to get started only to find I've not got the right cables.

5. yassarikhan786

Yes, all necessery cables come with the PSU. Don't worry about the cables.

For the hard-drives you will need the S-ATA data connectors and S-ATA power connectors.

The data cables will look like the below, but will be another colour (most likely black/white). They will come with your motherboard:

[​IMG]

And the S-ATA power cables will look like the following on the end that will connect to the hard-drives:
    [​IMG]

6. driftingphil

driftingphil What's a Dremel?

The data cables will be included with the motherboard.

7. lava

lava Minimodder

As said before the sata cables will be with your motherboard. If i remember correctly with mine i got 3 which was enough for what i was putting in.

All the power conectors you need will be with your PSU

8. towelie

towelie How do I Internet!!

24 pin for the mobo
    4 pin for the cpu mobo
    Sata power for drives etc
    3 pin for CPU fan
    6-8 pin pci-e
    molex fans etc

You be fine mate if in doubt use your old friend google and youtube before hand so you know what to do if not you always got US.

Let us know how you get on dude.

9. Dougy_D

Dougy_D What's a Dremel?

Thanks all. Indeed I have several cables hidden underneath the motherboard in the box. Rock n Roll! Time to order the rest of the items and I'll be sure to let you know how I get on.

10. Dougy_D

Dougy_D What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys, so i've started the build. First off I removed the processor holder from the motherboard. Mistake number 1. Attached it again and then worked on attaching the CPU cooler, dark rock advanced. Eventually fitted it only to find out I fitted it the wrong way. D'oh. Refitted it and attached RAM and power. No mistakes this time. Booted up BIOS and can see the 2600k having an idle temp of 38-40. Is this right? Case should arrive tomorrow so hopefully should be complete by then.

11. Dougy_D

Dougy_D What's a Dremel?

CPU temperature seems to have resolved itself after updating the BIOS to latest however keep getting CPU Fan error on start up. CPU fan is working fine though. Any ideas?

12. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Mine did that too. It's because the fans on the dark rock will turn very slowly initially until the heat builds up and then the fans ramp up to compensate. Look in the BIOS for the monitoring section. Look for something like "fan rpm warning" and set this to a low rpm; say 100 - 300rpm. That should resolve the issue.

13. yassarikhan786

Did you reapply thermal paste after reseating the heat sink?

14. Dougy_D

Dougy_D What's a Dremel?

No I didn't. it had spread quite well and looked ok