1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Cable Brading

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Cruelinios, 28 Jul 2002.

1. Floydian

Floydian What's a Dremel?

Hrm, Phire must have different stuff then me... sorry not all products are the same.

Didn't have to be so blunt about it :/

My 1/4in stuff BARELY fit over the bent over molex pins, and if it was any smaller (1/32nd of an inch even) it would NOT have fit. My guess is that my brand was crappier, it seemed like a cheaper version, also I used 3 to 1 heatshrink, which was able to shrink much smaller than the thickness of the 4 wires on a power supply line. Maybe you sell 2 to 1 heatshrink, or possibly a different brand?

Here are the specs on the "1/4in" sleeving i had:

Size Nominal Diameter
    1/4in 1/8to7/16"

Note how its labeled as 1/4in, but thats sort of a midpoint :/
    My guess is yours is labeled differently

I should have added what brand I used, so no generalization could be made about EVERY type, because this is in no guarantee of the experience you'll have with a different brand.

I used FLEXO PET type sleeving, available at wirecare.com THIS IS NOT the same as Phire's, which he HAS used extensively, which I have never doubted. He's reputable, people have bought from him, go buy from him for a guaranteed experience. I tried something new, and reported it back; did not work out quite the same way.

If you want some scan's of mine I'd be happy to post them, the antec one STILL looks like 1/4in of FLEXO PET, but is probably a different spec from a different brand. I used the 1/8in sleeve on some of my fans, and it does not look like that, but with 1/4 in sleeve it does; this is with FLEXO PET.

Sorry if I messed something up for anyone else, this is just my experience with FLEXO PET type sleeving, a product of TECHFLEX.

2. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

sup-

my question about it is- i was thinking of building a acrylic case- once i get everything installed, i prolly wont upgrade it- and if i do it will b a pain cuz im gonna get rid of the molex connectors- YEA, just shrinkwrap\twist wires together and tube em off so they look pretty, get ALL the wires into one central tube thing, and the ATA100 cables (if i can shuv them in) also put those in some wrap... maybe a larger size, i wanted the flexo pet because before this thread started i had previously seen the prices on coolerguys.com - when i saw the price on that page- sheesh- i was just about to buy some! had to read review first tho ^_^... so what size should i get for 4 16 gauge wires ( i think they are 16 gauge .. the size of the wire that is ) the ones that come off the molex connectors... its gonna be like this pic

wire

plz dont steal my idea =(

tell me what you think.. i can always reconnect the molex.. but it will look soo much neater this way! the pc is gonna be clear neon green with a cathode to match the PCB and stuff. gonna have some chrome and an 8" CHROME fan- i need some new blades tho =P so- tell me whatcoo think bout the wires

3. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

Ok but the point of molex is to plug in your devices....no if you're sure you only need x amount of molex, then think of what route the wire will have to travel from the psu to all the devices and then chop off the rest and solder it up in the route you want it. Then use some of the hook and sleeve? stuff from Flexo....

ps your idea is safe with me :D

4. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

arg me is an asshat sometimes. Didnt mean to be so blunt lol, I just hate it when ppl dont listen to me repeatedly (not you) when you are trying to discuss a topic you have a lot of experience with.....

On the lighter side, I will FINALLY Post some pics of my near completed case tommorow.....well near completed part 2 or 3 lol

5. Floydian

Floydian What's a Dremel?

Ah, its tight, I know what you mean, plus I didn't add the brand I used, so part my fault to :eek:

it's all good, no hard feelings :)

6. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

OC - YGM.

7. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

once i get the plastic for my acrylic case- 'pocject orange' is gonna start. im building 2 cases- one orange and one green(i was gonna make it project green, but that sounds gay =P) so im gonna do a few new mods i hope ;) cant wait to see what you think!

8. Cruelinios

Cruelinios EvE Addict

r3q that sounds pretty good. With nice cable brading insdie will look phat. Photos when ur done!!!!!

9. MadMac

MadMac What's a Dremel?

Hmm, I can imagine some of that stuff around my soon-to-come water cooling tubes:
    [​IMG]

Would fit perfectly with the rounded IDE-cables! :D

Anyone know where to get this stuff in Europe or even Germany?

Thanks and cheers,
    Mac

10. tigermain

tigermain What's a Dremel?

madmac give me a shout - see sig