1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Cable Braid Size Guide

Discussion in 'Modding' started by loply, 8 Jan 2003.

1. loply

loply What's a Dremel?

Im going to start using cable braid on all the internal cables for my company some time soon, as part of the research into this I requested just about every type and size of cable braid there is to find out which sizes are suitable for which cables.

First of all, nylon braid is less flexible than polyester braid and thus you cant get it as "tight". I suggest only using polyester.

For standard molex wires: 6mm 3:1
    The tightest sensible braiding is 6mm 3:1 polyester. This type of braid fits super snug on drive connectors and looks good (instead of being all baggy and loose). 8mm 3:1 heatshrink is just about right.

For 2 & 3 pin fan wires: 4mm 2:1
    4mm 2:1 or 3:1 polyester braid fits very snug, although, you will only be able to fit it over the fan connector if its 3:1 kind (i suggest removing the connector anyhow). I found 5mm 3:1 heatshrink worked best on these wires.

ATX Extras (HDD LED, Power Switch): 8mm 3:1
    You will need about an 8mm polyester braid, and I suggest the 3:1 type to make it fit without clicking. This is a touch on the baggy side but theres nothing you can do, unless you fancy cutting off the connectors. I found 10mm 3:1 heatshrink to be ideal for securing these cables.

ATX motherboard line: 15mm 3:1
    I found it takes far too long to remove the connector so I settled on choosing a braid which fits over it: 15mm 3:1 polyester can JUST about be squeezed over the connector, and if pulled tight isnt too baggy. Youll need 32mm 4:1 or 6:1 heatshrink tubing to secure this ("medium wall polyolefin").

As most of you probably know, only cut the stuff with a soldering iron or match, not with scissors!

In the UK, www.printasleeve.co.uk is a good supplier of all of the above products, and they will supply amounts as small as 5 meters aswell as 2000m coils! There are many other suppliers too.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That's the most useful post I've read in a while. Thanks! :clap:

3. loply

loply What's a Dremel?

08-01-2003 20:06 , lol

4. mushky

mushky gimme snails

sticky !!

modding guides section perhaps?

5. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Guide moved.....

I will be updating the index soon.

6. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

try cutting nylon mesh with a pencil torch ... much more precise than a match or a bic :)

or even better, a 100-130w soldering gun with a hotknife tip.

7. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I just cut it with scissors and then singe(sp?) the ends off with a lighter, works fine for me.

8. the pip

the pip What's a Dremel?

Why cut off connectors? One side of the metal pins should be exposed. Push in on that and pull out the wire. As long as you put the wires back right you won't blow up nuthin!:eek:

9. neocleous

neocleous Minimodder

How much is the braiding as there are no prices on the site

10. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for, thanks. Will let know how braiding PSU comes out.

11. best49erfan

best49erfan What's a Dremel?

what about a U.S. supplier?

12. Dazbo666

Dazbo666 What's a Dremel?

I've ordered some braiding for my system today too - and found this thread VERY useful, rather than wasting money and effort on trying to fit the wrong sized braid?!

Cheers loply :rock:

13. mysticfish2001

mysticfish2001 What's a Dremel?

Can someone post these sizes in U.S. sizes? Thanks ...

14. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer What's a Dremel?

What a coincidence....I recently read an article on modding a Q-Tec 550 watt PSU from HERE so I ordered the PSU and I've just been searching places where I could buy this braiding stuff as well as the heat shrink.

I guess its a matter of phoning this Printasleeve Company for further info. and pricing though...A! cause I can't see any pricing details anywhere. Do you think they would send out price lists if you e-mail them?

I realise you had to research this info. for your own reasons ...but thanks for passing on your wisdom gained in these matters to the likes of me and everyone else here. :thumb:

15. RobbieGSM

RobbieGSM Banned

im new to all this psu wiring. what the hell is a heat shrink for?? and DO I REALLY need it

cheers;)

16. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

Heatshrink is a plasic tubing that you can put over wires to cover up solder joints and also bind wires together.

As it name implies, it shrinks when heated, getting tighter against the wire.
    (Lighter, or heatgun works just fine)

17. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

And as far as do you really need it....you can do without it but it has many advantages over other alternatives:

1. Doesn't "lose" its stickiness over time like electrical tape
    2. Gives a more professional/finished look to electrical projects
    3. Is very easy to use with only 2 hands (instead of having to have someone hold the wires while you wrap)

If you are going to be sleeving PSU wires, then the heatshrink also keeps the ends of the braid from fraying and unraveling.

18. DoubleSidedTape

DoubleSidedTape What's a Dremel?

what about a supplier for the US

19. Grendel

Grendel What's a Dremel?

I know Fry's carries it in store if you have one in your area or if not check out www.directron.com they sell a few diffrent options of it. Check her for one of their pages on it Techflex Case Mod Sleeving Kit

20. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Since a lot of people inquired about sizes and suppliers in US sizes, here you go:

I ordered all my sleeving from http://www.cableorganizer.com. They have cheap prices and I didn't have any hassles. I ordered 10ft of 1/2", 20ft of 1/4", and 20ft of 1/8" black PET sleeving. All for just $15.60 + shipping ($6.40).

Motherboard Connectors
    For Motherboard cables, 1/2 in. sleeving is best to use. It won't fit over the connector (at least I couldn't get it to), but it isn't worth getting a larger diameter sleeving because then it will look baggy and sloppy. You need to remove the pins from the connector, put the sleeving on, then put the connector back on. Alternatively, if you feel confident enough, you can clip the wires and solder all 20 wires back together again to get the sleeving on. (Note: My PSU, ordered from directron.com, came with the mobo cable sleeved already. I am not sure if this is done by directron or the manufacturer, Vantec.) You should probably use 1/2" for anything with lots of wires (15-25).

Molex Connectors
    For standard molex connectors (the ones that plug into your CDROM, Hard Drive, etc) and for the smaller ones (for floppy drive, video card, etc) it is best to use 1/4 in. sleeving. It is very easy to remove the molex connector from the wires. You just need to take a tiny flat head screwdriver and press down two tabs on each wire and they will slide out. Then, just push both tabs back out and reinsert and they should be secured.
    Generally, 1/4" is best for anything that has 4-8 wires (more than 8 might be harder to fit, but I haven't tried, just a guess).

Fan Wires
    For 2/3-pin fan connectors, it is best to use 1/8 in. sleeving. Even though the 3-pin connectors are small, it is still best to take them off, put the sleeving on, then re-attach. To remove the fan connectors, you press your tiny flat-head screwdriver in each of the slits and then pull the wire out.

IDE/Floppy Cables
    I have not sleeved these wires (I have rounded cables), but I assume 1/4 in. would work best, seeing as the wires are considerably thinner than those coming from the PSU. I do not know of any way to remove the connectors from either IDE or floppy cables, so the only way to sleeve is to cut the wires, then resolder together.

Here is a quickie:
    < 3 wires = 1/8 inch (0.125")
    4 - 10 wires = 1/4 inch (0.25")
    11 - 30 wires = 1/2 inch (0.5")
    > 30 wires = 1+ inch (1.0"+)

I hope this helps, and if anyone has any suggestions for this list, let me know :thumb:

Edit : As for heat shrink, purchase heat shrink with a normal diameter (not shrunken diameter) that matches your sleeving. I have not tried cableorganizer.com's heat shrink myself, but I have heard it is good quality heat shrink. Also, a warning to the wise: Do not buy heatshrink from Radio Shack. It is cheap and tacky plastic sh*t and doesn't look good :nono:.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2004
Tags: