1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Cable combs (my wording)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Jeff Hine, 15 May 2019.

1. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

Is there any major benefit to average Jo(e) pulling their power cable plugs apart to use these cable tidying widgets...?

As neat as my OCZ ZT750 cabling is in it's braiding, I'm wondering if these <insert what they're really called> are worth it for non-show builds.

2. Jeff Hine

OK; I opened myself up to 'major-flak' potential with this, but if it makes my PC building easier, in future, I may add them to a to get list; as well as a tool to pull (pre-labelled, so I know where to reinstall them) wires out of plugs .

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Individual sleeving [with or without combs] can make certain cables easier to route [24-pin ATX being the notable one] as indidual wires an be smushed into/though spaces a big chonky cable may not fit. The combs are there to make those indivdual wires behave more like a single cable. That said some people do it purely for show and/or because they can.

If you're fine with the cables as they are, then leave them as they are... Whether they're worth the effort/expence is going to be entirely up to you.

4. Jeff Hine

Just looking at another way to add some more 'me' to my machine, over & above that it was bought as parts & assembled by me.
    I'm also glad I chose a fully modular PSU, to negate the need to solder replacement wires should I go down the single-coloured cable route...

Last edited: 15 May 2019
  5. Jeff Hine

Hmm... seems that is exactly what they're called; Cable Combs - any recommendations as to suppliers that don't use Chinesium-quality material or metals at affordable prices. Ideally the ones that are open, double-sided (like a row of H's).

Just found out that OCZ are no more; should this worry me unduly given that my PSU is working fine & out of warranty (pretty certain it is)...?

6. RedFlames

Can't void the warrnty by dicking with the cables if it's out of warranty... ;)

And a lot of the usual suspects make/sell cable combs - Corsair, Bitfenix etc... Though bear in mind they'll be made with their own braided cable kits in mind, diameters may vary.

7. Jeff Hine

The Bitfenix are the format/variety I would want to use, but more like acrylic... so just check the o/d of the wires to get sizing right?

EDIT:
    FTR - what's the (new?) 10-pin ATX connector for, on current PSU's?

Last edited: 15 May 2019
  8. Jeff Hine

This is the primary miscreant, as it's currently routed 'twixt mainboard & tray - it's not long enough to run under the tray - so I pondered removing the mesh sleeving and adding combs to get a 'flatter' overall cable.
    Downside there is that resleeving & untangling the run of all 24 wires may require more 'effort' than I want.

9. Jeff Hine

Where do people source their 2xN 'acrylic' combs from...? Like the bitfenix examples, linked above by @RedFlames
    I'm struggling to find anyone that makes them, let alone re-sells them... :(

EDIT:
    E22 sell direct, but £6 for a single 2x12 seems a bit steep - more planning required.

Last edited: 16 May 2019
  10. Jeff Hine

Update:
    During my earlier "de-fluffing inside of my case", I discovered that my 24-pin ATX lead is routed though/under the tray (through grommet holes) - still thinking I'd rather not have mass-braided leads, but this may end up as an exercise (potentially expensive) in custom cable lengths.

11. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Active Member

If you want cable to lay flat but don't want to mess with individual sleeves and or combs, have you considered ribbon cable, for example.

12. Jeff Hine

That would work... their shipping might be a bit steep to UK, mind so a more local source would be better.

13. Jeff Hine

While we're on the subject of cables, are S-ATA cables a minimum length (30cm, IIRC) for a reason? My box could benefit from 15's...

14. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Yeah, It's to p*** you off. However shorter ones are available. That was the first hit on eBay, different colours, sizes and types are available. Those I've linked to look like the lightweight version.

Jeff Hine likes this.
  15. Jeff Hine

That link spazz'd out my browser*... found these for considering.

*fresh sesh sorted it... thx

16. RedFlames

Jeff Hine likes this.
  17. SHNS0

SHNS0 Enter Plasma

If you want to do any kind of custom cable works I seriously recommend MDPC-X, or their resellers depending on where you are. There's Mod-One in the US for example.
    They have quality cable combs and other sleeving / cable-making materials.

If you want really fancy ones, you can look for the Alphacool Eiskamm Alu combs that come in anodized aluminium. I'm using those in red in one of my latest projects: Blood Inside

Keep in mind though that all of these combs are made for individually sleeved cables, and the hole size is usually tailored to custom sleeved cables which are quite thicker than your Corsair/Bitfenix/Cablemod sleeved cable. They might have a loose fit in those.
    If you end up with a off-the-shelf solution for your cables, I'd rather recommend Shakmods combs. I think he also distributes on Amazon.

Sata's can often be found on eBay / Aliexpress of decent quality and in a variety of sizes, even very short ones like 10-15cm.

Doing custom cables is great, but takes a lot of time and practice to get it right.
    It's probably one of the harshest areas of modding with a steep learning curve. But the results are glorious, and extremely satisfactory.
    If you want high quality materials, it's also pretty expensive - and not everything is easy to find.

Big Elf likes this.
  18. Jeff Hine

There's 2 listed for the UK, so that's a plus. Btw; what's behind the specific make/model of CPU for replacement cable sets? Should I take OCZ not being listed as a bad sign?

Before I go full berries on my own machine, I guess it's worth getting a device to remove/re-seat pins & practicing with a spare PSU to get used to the process... my earliest beef with captive PSU's was the tangled mess that the main power lines had <shudder>

Last edited: 20 May 2019
  19. SHNS0

SHNS0 Enter Plasma

You can contact them to ask for info about your OCZ power supply. I'm pretty sure they can figure out something.

It's not a bad sign - it's more of the fact that as a super small business it's difficult to give explicit support to hundreds and hundreds of power supply models with each having their own schematics. I work in the field so I know :p
    But at the same time, if there's a customer asking something specific that is "outside the menù", we'll usually find a solution. No harm in asking them.