1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cable Length Questions...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XplicitContent, 15 May 2005.

1. XplicitContent

XplicitContent What's a Dremel?

Since I am getting an Thermaltake Shark full tower case, I keep thinking about how long of an IDE cable is needed to reach the top bay. The set up is going to be..

1 Bay : CD-Rom Drive
    2 Bay : CD-Burner Drive
    3 Bay : DVD-Rom Drive
    4 Bay : DVD-Burner Drive
    5 Bay : HDD Cooler

The first two drives/bays is going to be using a dual IDE cable. How long from the mobo (the IDE sockets are in the middle) to the 1 and 2 bay? 18" or 24"? I do not want access cables running around, so Im trying to keep it to a minimum. For the 3 and 4 drives/bays, they are using one dual IDE cable too, again, how long. And last, the hdd is SATA, so Im going to use a single SATA cable for this. I dont know where the SATA socket is on a mobo, so I dont know how long I should have it. This hdd cooler is on the bottom bay.

Since were on this topic, how long to the floppy drive too in the floppy bay? My guess is about 10" correct?

This issue has been bugging me, and I dont want to buy a wrong-sized cable and buy another by waiting more days for it to deliver too.

Plz help, and I would appreciate it. Thanks.

2. blah

blah Minimodder

Sounds a bit stupid to me.

I have one drive which does all of that.

2 Would be ample.

3. XplicitContent

I know it is stupid to have the cd-rom drive and cd-burner, but I have them laying around, and I dont want a 'blank' bezel on the case, which I think is stupid.

Are you going to help me or not?

4. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

You have a optical drive that cools HD's?

5. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Running a full tower here, 2 opticals in bottom bays are fine on the same IDE. HDD is in 4th bay from the bottom and cable *just* reaches. Unless you're IDE ports are higher up the motherboard (which is hard, the IDE;s on this Neo are fairly close to the top) then you'll have issues running another 2 drives on the same IDE IMO. Might get it in but wouldnt like to gaurentee it. You *might* be ok with the drive in bay 5, but again think you'd be pushing it a bit.

For ref, pic below is the top portion of a Matrix full tower, bottom 2 drives are opticals, then a fanbus, the top black box is the hdd "cooler" (its a silentdrive in fact)

[​IMG]

6. XplicitContent

Um, how did those pictures even help me? There were no measurements listed from you. I need to know specifically how long my ide cables should be if its dual ide cables, one for the first two bays, and another for the 3rd and 4th bays, and an sata cable for the 5th bay. I wouldnt mind measurements for a floppy drive, but my guess is that cable would be about 10".

Plz help...

7. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

ever heard of a measuring tape to see how long the gap is...?

oh btw dont flame people when they are trying to help you it doenst help your chances imo

8. mushky

mushky gimme snails

If you want all of those drives just to look cool, then don't bother cabling them all up. Just cale up your DVD drives. Sorted.

Rude boy :grr:

9. TMM

TMM Modder

as a general rule of thumb, 60-75cm cables for the top drives, 45-60cm for the lower 5 1/4 bays. That should leave them a bit longer then needed so you can route them around things that may be in the way, or route them so they are out of sight :).

That said i used a 90cm cable to connect my top dvd drive when i used an Abit NF7-S since it just looked better (cable didn't have to stretch to reach, since i routed it behind the drive cages, out of sight.). And my case isn't huge, but its large (Antec 1000amg/Super-midi chieftec.)

Last edited: 16 May 2005
  10. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Sorry for not posting cable lengths they are ALL the standard 45cm cable (Tend not to use longer, 45 is the max recomemnded longer cables can cause data corruption/singalling issues)
    Sata wise, a 90cm cable from the bay above the hdd you see there atm, is more than enough to reach any part of the case. That would leave you plenty of spare for routing it out of the way.

To answer you're question, 45 will do the first 2 bays, 60 or 90 will do the second 2 and a SATA of 90 will be ample for the top drive, allowing easy routing....

BTW, you're attitude isn't going to get you anywhere.... Considering the case has a door, why not just close it rather than having a pointless number of drives?

11. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

:eyebrow:

That's a lot less stupid than redundant non-matching (I assume your ancient useless drives aren't all in silver/black like the case) drives, which are behind an (ugly) door anyway :rolleyes:

At any rate, standard IDE cables are 45cm (30 from board to first device, 15 from first device to second) and longer cables are 90cm. Without even knowing which motherboard you intend to use it's very hard to give you 'specific measurements', no two cases are alike so I suggest you get busy with a tape measure instead of expecting us to magically know the answers to questions you can answer a lot better than we can. :rolleyes:

12. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

what you are doing is utterly pointless, you do not need 4 opticals, i mean seriously, are you ever going to copy a CD and burn twice at the same time????

instead of blank bessels get one of those cooler master things that tells you the temps and voltages, and maybe put an LCD in the other slot.

13. XplicitContent

Wow, guys listen. I am not mean, it is just that someone posted a picture that in no way helped me and had nothing to do with the cable lengths. As for the cd-rom drives and other 'pointless' drives, I only want them there because it saves space from my floor and it is computer-related, so why not throw that in there.

And my cd-rom/burner are NOT white/silver, as they are black and blend in perfectly. Because I dont have a ruler or measuring tape, can someone convert the centimeters you guys posted to inches, so I can just buy the rounded cables that come in sizes 10", 18", 24" and 36". I want the hdd cooler on the bottom 5 1/4" bay, not top, and that will be using SATA cables, how long should that be?

Ok, I got an idea, if a DVD-rom drive can read like a cd-rom drive and better, I might as well keep the cd-rom/burner in the case, but not hooked up like you guys mentioned, but it would look cool with the uv reactive rounded cable from my uv cold cathode. But in inches, what is the best dual ide rounded cable for the top bay and second bay (cd-rom, cd-burner)? And in inches, what is the best dual ide rounded cable for the 3rd and 4th bays? If you guys cant figure it out without a mobo, the sockets are in the right side, middle, like almost every other mobo.

Well, thats all I need and would like to know in inches the dual ide cables for cd/burner, and dvd/burner, and sata hdd on bottom bay.

Also, I dont want to know the 'max' lengths, just the minimum/best so I dont have a whole bunch of wires around.

Thanks.

14. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Divide cm figures by 2.5 to get inches. If you're posting from a computer (which is highly likely ;)) use the calculator on that to convert :)
    A bit of spare cable is probably more useful than "just the right length" as it allows you to route neatly, and hide the cable in between drives, or in a spare floppy bay/behind mobo tray....

15. XplicitContent

Problem is, I cant get the right measurements without the case, which I dont have. Just the average full tower cable lengths would work fine. What do you guys have in the top bay/second bay dual ide in a full tower?

16. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Check out the modding section for some ideas. 2 drive bays will give you plenty of room for a nice graphical LCD for instance.

17. N4N01D

N4N01D What's a Dremel?

have you tried checking for the case specifications on the manufacturer's website... that or a review of the item, the info you require is out there, just a matter of www.google.com

18. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

19. XplicitContent

Ok, I understand Highlander, but it was in cm, which confused me, and so I found it out with the 2.5 division, which gave me the cm's in inches.

So, first top bays, 24".
    3rd/4th from top, 18".
    5th (bottom), 18" ? <<<<<< Since this bay is SATA hdd, where is the sata plugin socket on a mobo? If it is integrated into mobo, where would it most likely be? Because I dont want too much wire for it.

That is last question from me. Thanks for the help.

20. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Depends on the mobo, most are down towards the bottom near the LED/switch headers. On this mobo however, the SATA sockets are near the CPU.