1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Cable Modem Caps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Osse77, 20 Aug 2004.

1. Osse77

Osse77 What's a Dremel?

I know ISPs cap bandwith at nodes but do cable modem manufacturers cap bandwith on cable modems? One my of friends said "if he ever got cable he would uncap his modem." He then proceded to tell me that before u get your modem from the cable ISP they cap your modem through the firmware. Well after i told him i bought my modem from a retail store he still insisted they cap the cable modem. Still after telling him hes full of jibberish he continued to tell me that he was right. If you don't have any personal experience in telecommunications or dont really know what I'm talking about, please dont post here

2. penski

penski BodMod

Everyone here has personal experience of telecommunications seeing as they are online...Some of us even have professional experience.

I'm sure cable modems are not capped at all but not 100% as I'm more a fan of ADSL.

Moving thread to the Networking and Communication forum where you may get a more definite answer.

Welcome to bit-tech, please enjoy your stay.

*n

3. 1-Man-Army

1-Man-Army What's a Dremel?

i dont no man but i think ur friend is right becuz on my isp rogers cable....there giving out the same service plan except one u pay for the modem and u pay 44 dollars a month and u get 5mbps the other package the one i have u get 3mbps using there rental modem...do note they said its a one time fee for the modem and u get 5mbps =\

4. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

No, your friend is full of sh*t. The technology for cable modems have increased in the last while, all the bandwith stuff is done at the nodes. 1-Man-Army, the modem you can buy is probably the new Ultra low latency one, since your from canada, i presume u know of shaw cable? they have that same new service. And generally, the speed you get is regulated by how much traffic is on the node, I just moved and although i have the same service and service provider, i am now getting 400KB/s (3.2 Mbit) instead of the 600 KB/s (4.8 Mbit) i got where i lived before. This is due to the node that i was connected to before was less congested.

5. a9on87

a9on87 ...

I think with my ISP (ntl) the cap is built in to the firmware on the modem. ISPs will more than likely monitor the firmware versions on the modems and if they find that you are running firmware for a faster speed than you are supposed to then they will take action against you.

AFAIK if you upgrade your speed with ntl then they send a firmware upgrade to the modem but I suppose it varies between ISPs

6. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

Don't ask my source: But comcast caps theirs at 3MB/s at the modum.
    Un caped speed is in excess of 20MB/s

7. 2Busy

2Busy What's a Dremel?

Capping?

I would be they would cap at the source, that way the can control it. What if you go out and buy your own modem? I know Cox has a list of modems that they reccomend, but I would think it would be much easier for them to throttle on their end rather than worrying about some new modem, firmware revision or anything else. Also, I continually get around 3.2 to 3.6 mbps with Cox here in Oklahoma City. I cant see the need for any faster connections for now. How many sites can you connect to now that can handle that kind of speed anyway? I have not found any that will let me pull down anything that fast.

8. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

The download speeds are OK although my "Ultra fast high speed Comcast Cable Internet" averages about 400Kb/s and on top of that it fas a Woopie!! 128kb/s upload limit and if you use so much as 10kb/s your speed slows down to that if 56k when viewing pages

9. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

400 KB/s or Kb/s? 400 Kb/s = 50KB/s

10. RTT

RTT #parp

When you boot your cable modem your ISP sends it a couple of packets that tell it the address of a TFTP server. It logs onto the TFTP server and downloads a config packet that contains amongst other things the upload and download cap that belongs to the service you've paid for.

Therefore your mate is talking out of his backside ;)

11. warrmr

warrmr What's a Dremel?

what he sed.

AFIK the fastet uncapped speed for a motorols cable modem on COAX connection is 39mbit. and for adsl frog modem is 8mbit dependant on distance from excange i belive for a connection to be stabe at that speed you need to live practily next door to the exchange.

as for uncapping it yourself and not paying for the bandwidth this will be classed as bandwidth theft. especally if you pay for the 128k package and uncap to teh top 3 or 5 meg package. or fully unlock (altho thats jus stupid as you will rape all the bandwidth in your area.

if caught you will be banished to dial up by all cable companys. and will be charged with bandwidth theft so a prision sentance and or a fine.

12. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

The fact is simple as this.
    Coax (cable modem media) can carry up to a theoretical 52mbps and they usualy cap the modem (when you rent one on a monthly basis) through firmware that makes the modem work. But if you bought your modem, then its not caped. But they can also cap your conection at their end to what ever speed they want.
    So mostlikely you are not geting 52mbps or else the company is loosing major recourcess.

I sugest you dont uncap the modem (you can uncap their end as well) because if they catch you they can fine you or even put you on a baned list for all local isp's or both. And they will catch you unless they have a totaly retarded admin of that branch.

As far as adsl goes its pretty mutch ISDN on steroids and is not subjected to evelution in speeds beyond 5mbps. Even tho the theoretical max of the line is 8mbps. The positive parts that cable dosent have and dsl has are incresed security because its a isolated switched network vs cables shared network (yes your neighbor can actualy hack your conection quite easily) but its a give and take when it comes down speed vs security(cable vs ADSL)

The next step up is going to be fiber. They have been planing this move in the past 10 years and verizon (us based telecm company) is going to implement it in phones and will start at 5mbps.

Last edited: 22 Aug 2004
  13. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Mmmm... fiber :) Yeah you would think for how much we (or at least I) pay for cable each month you would get faster service. I'm still waiting for high speed internet to be one of those rights of life :)

14. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

It also depends on your modem, as said earlier. My old shark fin modem just died and I went out and bought another. I hooked it up and called the cable company to activat the modem. I did a bandwidth test and I'm getting about 70% more bandwidth coming down the pipe. I like it.

Tags: