1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Cable Sleeving

Discussion in 'Modding' started by pali`, 26 May 2004.

1. pali`

pali` What's a Dremel?

I've been wanting to sleeve my psu cables for a while now and with a little googling i found all sorts of kits for this purpose. What i would want to know is that is there sleeving cable or a kit that doesn't force you to remove the molex plugs ? :geek:

2. 0013

0013 What's a Dremel?

electrical insulation tape, duckt tape, paper tape, scotch tape :D

try cutting up a rubber tube(like garden hose) just take a sharp knife and spiral it down

3. Twunka

Twunka What's a Dremel?

nah but there are some that come with the tool to do that

4. Bmw M3

Bmw M3 What's a Dremel?

You could likly do it but by useing 1/2" but then it makes the cables look really baggy + messy,

You can get so much nowa days to mod the PSU, if you dont wont to use sleeving why not try spiral wrap.

If your sleeving the PSU why not change the connectors to coloured or UV ones, therefore you need to remove the old connectors anyway.

5. Hacker2B

Hacker2B What's a Dremel?

Maybe this or one of these or, these mention that they can be used for 4-pin molex connections.

I haven't tried any of these but I am planning on ording some soon.

6. pali`

pali` What's a Dremel?

yeah, thats one possibility but not exactly what im looking for, garden hose dosn't bend very well. but i'll keep that in mind :)

Sleeving is what i want.. but seems like i have to remove the connectors.. we shall see what happens :) and i've been thinking about the UV connectors for a while because they would look nice in my upcoming project :dremel:

Really nice looking sleeves, thanks. Not sure if i can order them from here tho.. dont own a visa or anything like that.

7. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Is removing molex connectors really that hard ? All you need is a small flathead jewellers screwdriver and a bit of practice. I can depin and repin my spare psu in about half hour =P

( mind you I have no life :D )

8. khendar

khendar What's a Dremel?

Damn...double post :duh:

9. JoKeR

JoKeR What's a Dremel?

10. Mod_Man_1

Mod_Man_1 What's a Dremel?

Spiral vs. Sleeving!

For me it has all ways been Sleeving. Yes it is more work, but the final look is sooo much nicer than spiral wrap. I all ways find that I need to extend or shorten the wires, I have found a kit that gives you more than enough to Sleeve your PSU and if you do not extend any cables, possibly 2 of them for Under $20

Northwestern Computer Accessories

The Kits are on pages 4 and 5...

MOD Man 1

11. Jivecat

Jivecat What's a Dremel?

You could use something like Techflex's Flexo Wrap which you can wrap around your wires and is secured with velcro.

However, the smallest diameter Flexo Wrap comes in is 0.50" (~13mm) while 0.25" (~6.4mm) is a better fit for your standard 4-wire cables coming from your PSU. I suppose this might be an easier way to sleeve the ATX connector, which at 20-pins is by far the most time-consuming plug to remove and reconnect.

However, I would highly recommend biting the bullet and learning how to remove the molex's so you can use normal expandable sleeving. The end result is much cleaner than any sort of the wrap or loom.

12. coil

coil What's a Dremel?

The thread on "shrinkydinks" as well as this thread got me thinking... People are looking for a way to wrap cables without removing the connectors at the end. Would some sort of heat-shrinking wrap be up to this task, provided it shrank at a low enough temperature to not harm the cables themselves?

Another idea would be laminating them, or one of those freeze-dry shrink-wrap gadgets you see on the Home Shopping Network Sundays at 3am. ^^

Anyway, just thinking out loud here. I imagine it'd be pretty easy to do a bad job (wrinkles, etc), but maybe perfectly possible to do a good job provided it was done carefully.

Opinions?

13. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

It isnt hard to remove molex's once you have the right tool. Thread here how to make one out of a 3.5mm mono headphone jack.

I bought the jack from maplin for £0.49 and after about 5mins i had worked out how to use it and i can remove the plugs very easily. For male pins you can use the metal tip off a gel pen.