1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics CAD graphics cards for 3DS Max?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boiled_elephant, 23 Jul 2015.

1. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

I make of that that Autodesk wants to sell their software.

Note Windows 8.1 system requirements
    •Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz)
    •RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    •Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
    •Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver​
    But would YOU recommend those measly specs to someone coming to you for buying advice? Would those measly specs provide YOU "satisfactory" performance?

Yeah, Windows will "run" with that hardware just like 3ds will "run" with the 4600. But that, IN NO WAY, implies performance will be satisfactory and not bottlenecked.

That said, the 4600 is not a chump for an integrated GPU, but still cannot keep up with most dedicated cards.

If the goal here is to buy on the tightest budget, then fine, go with an integrated solution. But if you want the best performance your budget will allow, gobs of RAM and the best graphics card you can afford is the way to go, then the best CPU. But don't forget the last, but perhaps the most critical purchasing decision, the PSU. I recommend at least 80-Plus Bronze, preferably Gold and of course with ample power.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2015
    boiled_elephant likes this.
  2. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends entirely on what they are using the program for.

Basic modeling can be done on a Laptop most use macbook pros and it does the job more than well enough.

Advanced modeling including physics and other functions can require a more beefy setup a I7 with enough memory for it to use still does not really need a high end gpu though.

Rendering Scenes is a different minefield entirely, If they are using software than can use multiple cards and expect to need 12gb video memory + then we are talking an entirely different level of investment. Compared to someone that can get away with using a consumer gpu on the onboard gpu.

Ask the question on if it just is for modeling. Or if they want to Render with it and if so what rendering engines they are using. Then you need to do the research and see which engines they are going to use and what they support.

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

This was exactly what I discovered while trying to research the question - even within the Autodesk family, the balance of workload between CPU and GPU, and how demanding the viewport and render work respectively are, is different in each program.

It does look, from having run the nearest equivalent components of SpecViewPerf 12 (specifically, the Blender test) that the CPU is doing aaaaaall of the rendering work, as RedFlames suggested it would (and as common sense suggests). So my hope is that the K4000 will simply provide better viewport framerates the rest of the time.

As for gaming vs. workstation cards, I was sold on Quadro as soon as RedFlames initially pointed out that gaming cards aren't officially supported and that if you have any problems and need to use Autodesk's tech support, they'll refuse to help you if you're using an unsupported card. Since we're a business giving advice to an artist (not an brave individual with tech smarts ready to troubleshoot any problems themselves), workstation was really the only choice.

Absolutely, but unfortunately he's only just breaking into CAD and doesn't yet know what the project scale will be, how time-intensive it will be, what render engines he'll be using (likely to be installed/configured by a helpful sprog), etc. so we've simply advised the basics and resolved to upgrade our way out of it if it proves inadequate later on...