1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Call of Duty 5 to have 'new theatre'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 9 May 2008.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Tell that to 99% of the other FPS developers while you're at it

2. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

The gameplay is very outdated, it amazes me the game got so much acclaim, much better games, hell, shooters released that year, many. trigegr points with endless spawnign enemies in small linear levels ot old in 2001, time to modernize. The problem is every console gamer will jump on it just because it says Call of Duty.

3. Lepermessiah

Really? Last i checked, Stalker, Crysis never had any of that. IW are one of the few shooters that play like shooter from 2000. HL2 doesn't do this either. Even Halo 3 does a better job, and we know hoe overrated that game is.

4. Major

Major Guest

COD4 sucked? Your crazy.

5. Lepermessiah

No, I am not, look at the gameplay, same as COD1, hasn't changed, very linear, bad AI, trigger points, Spawn points, no interactivty, can't even jump over fences, to restricting. Very genric story to boot. Games should be moving ahead not backwards.

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Agreed. Unfortunately a large number of not very intelligent people still enjoy that.

Personally I think the Korean war offers a lot of scope. Millions died, it basically came down to the US, UK, and other western nations fighting the north koreans, chinese, and soviets. It's not for no reason that it's called The Forgotten War at times.

It's been a while since anything good set in Vietnam has been done (How long ago was Vietcong? Great game that) - but Korea really needs to be done.

7. Lepermessiah

That is what gaming s becoming sadly, consoles are stunting innovation.

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Can i play hawkeye?

9. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Ummh.... What did you just say? Something about fences in CoD and it being restricted? Have you ever noticed that there's exactly one route to go in HL2 as well? Trigger points? Big CHECK! I haven't bothered to even try Halo, but Crysis felt to me like there was just a bit wider one path to run along. It managed to be just as boring as any other single player game. Stalker isn't an FPS-game as far as I'm concerned, so I don't want to even go there.

But who plays SP anyway? I mean more than once and that normally takes a couple of hours..

10. Major

Major Guest

Did you even play COD4?

Yes you could jump over obstacles, including fences.
    AI is not that bad, crank skill up to highest and then play.

It's nothing like COD1 or 2, I loved COD2, but it's totally different than COD4, totally different game.

The end level in the plane has to be one of the most satisfying, yet the most basic levels I have seen.

I also loved STALKER, and yes I think it was better than COD4, but only slightly.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Like I said, 99%, not all. Stalker was more of an RPG than an FPS IMO, Crysis, well, I thought that was rather bland. Also, HL2 and Halo 3 are exactly the same, very linear, trigger points, all that kind of stuff, there are very few games that don't do it, because once you make the levels non linear and add other things not often seen in a FPS, it stops being a shooter and is starting to go more into the realms of FPSRPG/Adventure like Deus Ex or Bioshock. I love those games, but I also like a cinematic FPS too, and CoD4 does this very well (apart from the spawning enemies, those suck big time). If you're playing CoD4 and expecting some new innovative gameplay then you're playing the wrong game, the game is a shooter and it doesn't pretend to be anything different, and it does it well (apart from said retarded spawning enemies).

12. Rain

Rain What's a Dremel?

Best COD Game for me was/still is United Offensive, PC only game not a crappy console port. This game made you actual aim at someone and hit them dead on, none of this 200% hitboxes they have to stick on for consoles because they cant aim properly with an analogue stick. It had Jeeps & Tanks which mixed the gameplay up but didnt feel remote like Battlefield does.

I cant see them doing a futuristic version, to close to the Battlefield franchise, if its Vietnam at least they should put the good old Flamethrower back in :rock:

13. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Oh indeed I had already forgot about CoD:UO! It was a truely terrifying situation when your were running to a building with a tank shelling at you all the time... And then there was no panzer shreck in the building! UO also had satchel charges and sprint... good times.

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

I hope it will be the pacific theater with the battles against japan then they can pretty much cap off ww2.

15. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Last time I checked the hitboxes for CoD4 were fine, aim at the head, hit the head, aim a tiny fraction off the head, miss. Using a controller isn't difficult for an FPS, all it takes it a bit of getting used to, I'm better with a controller than I am a keyboard/mouse.

16. donnie

donnie Moddin' my way out of a paper bag

I would love to see a nice vietnam conflict again considering my addiction to battlefield vietnam was boardering on the obsessive, personally i quite enjoy WWII shooters and strangely i can't get enough but there hasn't been anything i'd call revolutionary except for the CoD series in that respect, i really enjoyed the scripted sequences through out the series from being chased by a tank and endless nazi's through the desert streets during the afrika corp's campain with captain price and that funning scottish fella "Bloody great fun" to the iconic film style stand at the end of CoD4, i only hope they follow the same kind of style in the next one.

Although many cite the respawning enemies as one of CoD's main problems i actually like it as it requires you to fight then make a push to advance but its definately a love hate dynamic.

Oh and good help us all if Treyarch are putting this together cause i'll be reading lots of reviews before going down that path, i second the post that says give it to infinity ward because them guys/girls know how to make great games.

Wait one thing i didn't like in CoD4 was there credits reel "what a cop out!!" I was waiting to see what funny little side scrolling action was to be had and i got thermal vision bombing runs very sad indeed.

17. Jordan Wise

Jordan Wise Baby called to see the boss...

you lot are way off on ideas for a 'new theatre' all the above mentioned have been done. heres my suggestion

COD Sparta

If that isn't enough for ya

COD Waterloo

they would be games worth playing. They've been to present day, every shooters been to the future, lets go back to the past (not wartime past, that doesn't count)

18. desertstalker

desertstalker What's a Dremel?

It kinda stops being a shooter when you can only use a bow

19. Jonagon

Jonagon What's a Dremel?

American civil war period maybe?

20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

That would be tremendously boring.

Tags: Add Tags