1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Call of Duty: Ghosts Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 7 Nov 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

No surprise really then - if it ain't broke, and it makes you a f**k-ton of money once a year, then don't fix it... Shame they haven't done something more innovative with what looks like a fairly decent engine.

Also - 60gb :jawdrop:

3. David

David RIP Tel

All that effort to write a thoroughly entertaining review, rendered completely redundant by one line:
    I did laugh.

Brilliant!

I should add that I won't be buying this game any time soon - I'll leave it until it hits the GMG bargain bin in a year or so. I cba with FPS multiplayer anymore, so the retail price is hideous for a few hours of samey SP campaign.

That reminds me... I wonder if MW3 has hit £5 yet...

Last edited: 7 Nov 2013
  4. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Wow. BF4 has it's flaws, but those will get fixed. Can't fix 60 GB of steaming poop.

5. Hustler

Hustler Well-Known Member

This "America..F*** Yeah!!!" series needs to die, it represents everything that's despicable about the place.

6. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Considering it just smashed all sale records I dont think its getting changed any time soon.

7. benji2412

:duh:

8. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I wouldn't necessarily call it a steaming poop - just unimaginative

Shame - now they'll have even less reason to change things in the future...

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Why cant i stop my self giggling every time i read the words "call of duty"

10. loftie

loftie Well-Known Member

What the hell makes it 60GBs? Dog AI? Dear lord.

I agree with rollo, I can't see them making the game 'better' because it's making a lot of money and selling loads. At this point, they could make any game put COD in the title and all the COD fans would still buy it.

COD: Ultimate Fishing, next best selling game?

11. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

grand theft auto 5 is next best selling game

12. sakzzz

sakzzz Member

Inspite of insisting my console playing friends to play my recommendations such as Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite e etc... They run to buy COD the moment it gets released ! If it sells..its not gonna get fixed any time soon.

13. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I have a bit of probelm with this way of scoring franchise games. I have only played mordern warfare 2 so for me the franchise doesn't feel reptitive but if I was to read the review and look at the score I have no real idea how the game stands up on its own merits.

Reviews like this are useless to newcomers to the game (although these people, I admit, are most likely in the minority).

The same seemed to happen in the review of Batman: Arkham Origins. Is it possible to review the game first and then put it in context with the franchise after, please?

14. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

they using the rage engine with `megatextures`?

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

You mean there are people that don't know call of duty? Where?

EDIT: Also, on the back of this, I've been thinking, why don't we do scores for all different types of people. We could do a score for people that play Battlefield but don't play COD, a score for people who have only played COD1+ MW2, but not the rest, and a score for people that like to eat chalk, but have only played Pikmin on the Gamecube (not the Wii version).

Last edited: 7 Nov 2013
    David likes this.
  16. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

the score might leave you thinking it was worse than MW2, but reading the review i'd think you'd come to the conclusion that if you liked MW2 and haven't played all the other games, then you'll probably like this. I've never been a fan of percentage scoring. It's too big a scale for something as subjective as video games comparison, but i guess it's important to quantify the quality of games in a single numerical value so they can be compared with each other and a 'winner' found.

Recently we've seen COD get 50, Arkham Origins get 30, and The Stanley Parable get 80. Now, does that mean if you play COD and AO, you'll get the same amount of enjoyment in total as if you played the stanley parable? Is AO as good as TSP but only 37.5% the length? If you played TSP followed by AO, would you feel as happy/satisfied as you would if you'd just played COD?

Obviously not, differences in genre, target audience, platform mean comparing them is futile. So quantifying their qualities would seem equally futile.

Personally, i feel COD serves a valuable purpose. it keeps some people with less patience or shorter attention spans away from arma 3, and to a lesser extent battlefield 4. It's nice of them to release it in an appropriate time frame to maximise it's effectiveness in doing this too. As such i'd give this one 90% and never have the intention of playing it.

17. benji2412

That's pretty much /thread for me, I'm standing by my initial comment of steaming poop though. I just don't see why people buy it when it's been the same since MW2.

18. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I do think a number scoring system is silly.

I'd prefer a phrase/sentence conclusion instead probably. "Worth playing" "Buy it now" "Only a game for fans of the series"...

19. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

That would likely be the first COD that I'd buy myself.

20. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

Actually a great idea, numerical scores mean so little now anyway (in regards to all the "anything under 80% sucks" argument).

Tags: Add Tags