1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 11 Nov 2009.

1. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I believe Spec Ops is a genuine new feature (read page 3) that not only adds a great deal to the game in terms of longevity, but is also ludicrously good fun.

yes, its not exactly original, but when was the last time a truly great game was? MW2 is simply the peak of the craft.

2. staleman

staleman New Member

I agree that the review seemed a little "soft" to me. However, I will give you guys the benefit of the doubt...for now. I agree that I would have liked to see a little more technical related information. Like, is the FOV an issue and since there is apparently no console did that leave you wanting? Or was the game completely perfect "as is" like Infinity Ward tells us and requires no custom adjustments? Did you run vsync and did that create noticeable mouse lag like in other games?

I'm sure you could go back and do a more comprehensive review with benchmarks and such later

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I think FOV is more of a personal choice. Personally I've never felt the need to alter it in any game, so I'm probably not the best one to ask. I never felt limited by what I could or couldn't see. Not sure about Vsync - i'll post back later.

We're considering adding it to our benchmark suite once we find a good spot for benching, but needless to say if you could run the orignal modern warfare you can run this (unless your GFX card doesn't support shader model 3)

4. $plit

$plit abs0lut3K1LL

ok..thanks Baz and Joe. And thanks for the answers...Sorry if i came across negatively. There's just too much hype and anger in this game and as the reviews come out for the PC, there seems to be a disparity between them, but thats journalism. I wasnt implying that you guys were paid,,it was just my first reaction based on reading the review and my following the forums. You guys have been excellent in responding and questioning the game/devs. carry on... and you have "manned up" !!! ^^^

5. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Played the ps3 version ( rented not brought)

Single player is excellent

Multiplayer is alot better than mw1 most of that is just in basic changes

cs source us 6v6 on tornament level so no clue what the poster a while back was on about

been on the 32 player modded servers and it's awful. Battlefield 1942 was last game to do 32 player justic.

Baz likes this.
  6. Westovski

Westovski New Member

Excellent, well thought-out, mature comment there RedBeaver.

You've really distanced yourself from those 'console-tards'.

7. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Lots of us are angry about the state of this game as a port to PC, but there's no need to take it out on the reviewers here.

Apart from the point I raised earlier in the comments I think this is a solid and fair review. I disagree with much of it, but that's my perogative as a reader and customer.

Reviews are a facility for you to get an outside opinion from professional journalists who are passionate about games, not a means to vindicate your (rightful) boycott of a game like MW2, nor a means to justify your decision after dropping €60 on the game.

-

To those telling PC gamers to stop bitching and just jump ship to the console bandwagon, get lost.
    If you're proud of being a quitter and giving up easily then well done for you, but some of us are passionate about the arguably superior gaming platform we've played on for the past 20-30 years and the advantages in choice, control and overall quality that we've enjoyed since long before the mainstream popularity of gaming.
    The mainstream popularity of gaming in the past decade has brought a huge influx of easily-pleased morons to the market who barely care about the quality of the games they play, causing a shift towards mass appeal instead of quality or passionate design.

Maybe our bitching about companies like Infinity Ward is impotent and ineffectual, but as far as I'm concerned it's better to be informed and passionate than being an opinionless nobody who just plays whatever **** is put in front of them as long as it passes the time.

Elitist and proud - It's better than being passive.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2009
    Gunsmith, knuck and WildThing like this.
  8. OnyxLilninja

OnyxLilninja New Member

After reading this review, bit-tech is no longer a place I trust will reflect my views on gaming as a PC enthusiast. The multiplayer review mentions the problems then completely glosses over them for the conclusions. It appears now bit-tech also subscribe to the lowest common denominator 'dumbing down' of PC gaming and have decided it isn't a problem.

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

ok now im confused, you guys have gave it a good review and even said the multiplayer parts works and is lag free for the most part. BUTTTT.......... everwhere else ive read has said that it sucks and IWnet is laggy alot, disconnection alot and migration sometimes doesnt work. ive already seen videos of cheating and people lagging. all thuis combined with not 9v9 now but limited to 6v6 in some games and maps doesnt sound very positive.

There seems to be completely opposite views people that say ping is fine and others say its awful.

whats the deal ????

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

People have different connection speeds and experiences, I guess. In 100 percent of the games I've played of MW2 I've not seen any hacking or lagging and have only been dropped from one server - an experience hardly unique to MW2. If other people are complaining they must have been unlucky or mistaken. Either way, as Hugo pointed out, we held back our review until we were sure in our opinions and experiences but you'll only ever get a clear picture by taking info from a range of sources or trying yourself.

WildThing likes this.
  11. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I think you've misunderstood what I've said here, both in the review and in numerous comments. We've pointed out IWnet's flaws, and its issues in the review, but in our opinion of the game underneath is that it's just too good to ignore. As I've said many times now; would I prefer Dedicated servers? Hell yes. Does IWnet irrevocably spoil the game? No - there's still a superb game to be played here.

I'm sorry that this assessment makes you feel that you can't trust us here at bit. We're all PC enthusiasts through and through (I'd never even consider playing this game on 360), but I honestly feel, from an unbiased point of view, that the Multiplayer, while not as good as it could have been, is still excellent. If you choose to disagree that's your prerogative, but please don't write us off simply because you disagree on on just one game.

WildThing likes this.
  12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg New Member

Good review, going to wait till it comes down in price though. The sp looks just as excellent as the last mw but the mp looks to me like it will play like as a combo of l4d and mw. I really dislike the lobby system in l4d but i'll put up with it (i see where baz is coming from) but i never got on with mw mp any way.

13. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

@Bit Tech; I'm still digesting that high score, but just a question:

On what connection did you guys play on? Was it the company DSL or home connection?
    And if home, what ISP are you subsscribed to, since you like in UK?

Would be good if you posted some facts on your internet connection

Cheers

14. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Home connections

I'm on 20MB cable, Joe's on 8MB Broadband, someone who joined us was also on 8mb broadband and lives a considerable distance from the exchange. None of us experienced anything that we'd describe as laggy gameplay playing various gametypes. So far, in over 12 hours of play, I've had 1 dropped host (that migrated successfully), 2 hosts fail to connect (drop back to the lobby after a long wait) and one very noticeably laggy server that everyone soon left.

In the same amount of time playing on a dedicated server (I've played the orignal MW online for the last 2 years), I'd usually experience a similar level of issues, be they at my end or the host's.

15. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

I stopped playing L4D cos i found the lobby system so infuriating....

Having said that i think i may pick up mw2 becuase the SP and spec ops look like fun. Tho im not going to at the mo as the PC version is currently more expensive than the console version!

I must say that when reading the review it didnt seem like it was going to get a 9/10 score at the end of it.

Also when checking the Score Guide page which i'd not looked at before it seems to imply that 10/10 games get "excellence" ratings and 9/10 games get "recomended". yet MW2 received an excellence rating. Was that deliberate?

16. CardJoe

The score guide answers that question very explicitly.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Nov 2009
  17. -VK-

-VK- Lurker

A good review and as always an honest perspective. After watching the drama unfurl over the last few weeks about the game, it's quite astonishing how many people have said "Actually, it's not that bad..."

When it comes to the crux of it though, you'll either buy the game or you won't. Personally I'll be waiting until I finish Dragon Age before I move onto the SP of MW2, then I might worry about the multiplayer. I trust both Joe and Baz's opinions, and will buy the game on their recommendation. As for the accusations of taking backhanders to write a good review....that's pretty ridiculous.

Also, Baz "Man Up? I'm practically sweating testosterone" should never be said again. It caused tea damage to my laptop as said tea departed my nose.

:(

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

im torn atm, i never cared for cods multiplayer and i never will, the SP of cod 4 whilst childish did have some "oh snap!" moments and id like to check it out, but at the same time my blood is boiling with the rage for what it stands for.

Ive predicted this "consolification" bomb for years and after all this ticking its finally gone off, now the question is how will the other PC devs clean up after mw2?

19. CardJoe

He's sweating something, but it ain't testosterone....

20. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Coolshop.co.uk - £25

They're fully legit and frequently undercut the more established retailers.

Tags: Add Tags