1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 19 Apr 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I have to say the first game was actually pretty fun, nothing amazing but worth playing through.

Rv. Ray was just some good old fashioned arcadey western shoot-um-up, fun.

Hated the other chap though, poorly developed tedious stealth missions. I'll prob pick this up if he's gone!

3. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

I absolutely loved Call of Juarez. Despite some of the flaws about the first one, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought the characters and voice acting was great, especially the Reverend, and the whole protagonist switching thing never really bothered me tbh. One thing I particularly liked was the horseriding, way better than Assassins Creed imo.

As for the prequel, I'm looking forward to it, although co-op would have been fantastic!

4. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Yes, i quite liked the first game. Nothing special but an above average shooter that played ok. Was quite funny that you could jump from the top of the mountain you had to climb at one point, into 6 inches of water without taking any damage though :)

5. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'm with the above, i quite enjoyed the first game warts and all, little replay value though.

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

the voice acting was really good in the first one.. I kinda liked the sneaking around town part too- had a bit of challenge to it.. hunting rabbits on the horse was pretty cool =] there was alot of cool things about that game I thought.. true, no replay value though, but a fun game.. least didn't roid rage for wasting my time like in far cry 2 =]

yeah frontline- remember that big cliff out in the middle of a puddle.. jump off the top and survive

can't wait to play this one

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Never tried CoJ. Although I found Gun very amusing for a while. Even finished it. Nor was that game particularly perfect though, I have to admit.

May have to check this one out.

8. books

books What's a Dremel?

Yeah I was a big fan of the first game too. I found it really cinematic, I felt like I was in a Western. Not just because of the sounds and visuals, but it took you along a quite linear story which I really like. The escaping through town at the start was really cool, the Indiana Jones train track was fantastic too and I'm amazed it took this long for a game to finally do that.. The travelling around sniping people was fun and made me feel like I was a travellin' lone gunman in a Western. The horse bit with the bow and arrow bit was great too, and the last step of the game was great too. I think it was far better than most "average FPS's", and what it lacked in polish, it made up for in creativity and originality. It's easy to criticise it, but I think that is missing the fact that this is potentitally a really great new series of games. It might not have been a perfectly polished experience like Crysis was for example, but I found the game far more fun, creative, interesting and memorable than Crysis.

The swapping between two characters thing, there are two ways of looking at that. One is, you have to switch as you are getting in to the first one like the reviewer said. But the other more positive way of looking at it, is that you basically have two different games in one. It's half splinter cell, and half max payne. Yes each element isn't quite as polished as each of those games, but the fact that it has both in the same game, means it gets major bonus points from me. Rather than seeing it as a nuisance when the characters switched, I personally thought it was a nice change. In other words, whereas I got bored crapless of Splinter Cell, sneaking around on mission after mission... in this game, just before I started getting bored of sneaking around, it switched me to the other guy and it was guns blazing time.

There were also things like the fist fighting which was far better than the usual 'token' melee mode that some FPS's have. As for the bullet time thing, I didn't have a problem with that. To me it was just simulating the fact that once you become super skilled at something, everyone else can seem almost like they are in slow motion. So in that one brief moment of focus and concentration, he manages to out-do the average joes, just as a fly completely outdoes you when you try to swat it away.

The rough edges did stop it from being an epic experience, but like I said, I liked it more than most average FPS's. I also think people should give credit where credit is due, and when a smaller company comes along and makes an FPS that breaks the mould, it definitely deserves credit in my opinion.

So yeah, if this sequel can polish up the rough edges of the first one, then I'm really excited!

Tags: Add Tags