1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Call of Juarez: The Cartel announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Feb 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

We need more Westerners, not less! Taking this game out of its setting is going the wrong way, not to mention that it will just dilute the game and make it just like every other AAA title out there.

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Noooo.
    I loved Call of Juarez 1 and 2, why take it out of the western setting? It's not like the genre is overused!
    Will still keep an eye on it though

4. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

That's because the western settings is boring and crap!

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Not too many games taking on the whole Mexican drug lord/drug smuggling setting, despite it being ripe for use. Fair play I say, although I'm sure it'll pull in lots of publicity from outraged victims of gang violence.

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Meh another modern shooter. Call of Duty Juarez: Cartel

I don't grudge the Mexican Drug setting but couldn't they use an original IP and keep Juarez a western.

7. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Enjoyed the first two games (the first more than the second to be fair). I'm not sure what I think about the new modern day setting, wait and see as more details are announced.

8. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

damn, I really like the western setting. I can see the modern day mexican smuggling stuff as good setting for another game, but not CoJ, That's like making the next mass effect set in middle earth.

But more importantly...no Reverend Ray. :'(

9. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

First CoJ was good fun, especially jumping off the top of a mountain into six inches of water and taking no damage :) Second was a great looking game, but too much on the rails action and set piece after set piece.

It will be interesting to see how the game engine copes with a modern day setting, although would have preferred another Western outing.

10. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

That's the best you can muster?

11. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Agree that the Western setting is underused. I only have COJ2 and really liked it's charm, even though it seemed quite flawed to me. Looking forward to playing it again on new hardware soon, but would like to see a big budget Western FPS in the vein of BFBC2, possibly my favourite FPS since Half Life.

12. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

What a shame, 2 good games with a good fan base built up, and they go and ruin it by sticking it in some modern setting. They definately won't be getting a sale off me, and I'm guessing most of the fanbase will avoid it too. I hope it bombs tbh.

13. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

At first I thought it was a DLC for L4D or a mod... it looks promising...

14. alf-

alf- Minimodder

i wouldn't say western settings are underused, there may be less western based games than modern based games, but there are still plenty of western styled games out there.

and really its to soon to make any kind of judgment on this game, just because its set in modern times doesn't mean it cannot be a western, look at no country for old men, a modern film set in the modern era, but it still felt like a western type movie, as did films like, once upon in Mexico and various other films by Robert Rodriguez.

and hoping it "bombs" is just immature.

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

frontline, you didn't have fall damage? I did?
    It is underused, there are far fewer games in the western genre than most others.
    Even fewer decent western games.
    And yeah, Rev. Ray was awesome!

16. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i totally was thinking the same thing alf.

17. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

oh, and another thing, does the character in the cowboy hat make anyone else think of Mickey Rourke? it would be cool if they had him do some voice acting for the game.

18. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

The mission where you have to collect the Eagle's feather from the top of the mountain, if you fall off whilst attempting the climb, you would generally die, however if you complete the mission and then just jump off into the water below, i did it a couple of times with zero damage (had fun trying to land on my horse below!)

Tags: Add Tags