1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Asus Striker & eVGA 680i owners

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zr_ox, 2 Apr 2007.

1. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me find the GOOD revision of either:

1. Asus Striker Extreme (1.3)
    2. eVGA 680i (A

I bought an Asus Striker 1 month ago, and whilst it appears to be a great board the one I got cannot hit 300FSB. To test I bought a P5B just to see if it was my CPU (6300) limiting my OC and could get it to 435 stable. I used the same components on the P5B so they are not the limiting factor either. I just got the board RMA'd and got the same 1.00G as replacement.

After trawling through the internet it appears that revision (1.00G) of Striker is basically pants. The trouble is that I cannot get the GOOD revised 1.3 revision in Denmark for some time.

I'm also considering the eVGA 680i however I know that they have caused just as many headaches as the Strikers in the early revisions specifically those ending with AR, the newer revisions of being A1 & T1 are apparently filtering into the market now.

I have spokem to all of the Danish shops and none of them are willing to disclose which Striker revisions they have in stock, and they only have the first eVGA revisions. Overclockers UK are a bunch of nit-wit's, I'm still laughing about my experience with their "technical support" department today :hehe: ! Shame really since I bought a lot from them in the past.

Has anybody bought either a Striker 1.3, or eVGA 680i (last two chars being A1 or T1)? If so can you please let me know where you bought it? Should preferably have been Europe since importing from the USA add's 25% VAT, and a huge potential for breakage in the post.

Sorry for the essay, and many thanks in advance :thumb:

2. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I don't know how Newegg handles shipping in europe (local warehouse or overseas ship?) but I did get two Striker 1.3's from them.

They also carry the newer revisions of the EVGA boards.

[edit]: sorry, just checked the site, no overseas shipping from them. Best of luck finding a 1.3

3. sailorboy

sailorboy What's a Dremel?

I know that Tigerdirect.com ship to europe! Whenever I have ordered things from the US and it been shipped by DHL / FEDEX I have never had to pay VAT! at least I dont think so :rolleyes: ... anyhoo it is damn much cheaper than Swedish shops!

4. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Tiger Direct prices....shipped within 2 days with UPS and it's still cheaper than in Denmark :eeek: The trouble is that when you add the $35 handling charge then have to wait the additional 2-4 days processing time, the $99 2 day delivery time takes the icing off the cake :sigh:

5. Pie_uk

Pie_uk British beef, in Britain

dude why the hell is all your stuff RMA'd ? :nono:

6. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

OCZ 9200 Flexx - 1 stick DOA, other failed memtest
    EVGA 8800 GTX - Screaming at me, I mean really high pitched whining.
    Asus Striker - Revision 1.00G cannot raise FSB past 300 = Measly 1.86GHZ - 2.1 Ghz on Striker when I can get it to 435 on my P5B.

Those are all new components which is just wrong.....what the hell happened to quality control? Guess the manufactureres think were happy to pay a fortune and then spend weeks getting replacements before it "maybe" works :nono:

I was so angry last weekend when I had it all ready to be assembled, only to find that the only thing working normally was the sound card....I was so pi$$ed off you have no idea. Almost £1000 and I get junk gear which is supposed to fly.....dont get me started :D

7. sailorboy

sailorboy What's a Dremel?

looks like U n me are in the same boat :hehe: ...had to RMA my e6700 and my OCZ GameExtreme 850W.... had it running for a couple of days though :sigh:

If you live in Denmark why dont you order from Germany?? For me who lives in Sweden it's a lot cheaper anyway,,, not cheap like USA but still cheaper!

like alternate.eu good prices and ok service. Ordered my StrikerExtreme from them. (1.00G But no prob going over 300 at all)

8. Jagdwolf

Jagdwolf What's a Dremel?

I have had 3 EVGA MB's in my rig. They have all had problems. Now im gonna put in the GigaByte 680i board for the Intel Quad core. lets hope this is the last MB that I put in.

9. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

It's a complete nightmare, this is the worst it's been though. I have never had so much trouble all at the same time.

I have ordered from Germany but it's mainly been water cooling. I never considered ordering actual components...perhaps I should reconsider.

That's shocking, 3 motherboards! I dont remember a new chipset causing so much trouble. I know that a new chipset is normally buggy, but they are normally fixed with bios updates?? Not this time around I guess!

The manufacturers really need to reconsider their roll out proceedure and quality control. There are so many forums filled with compalints regarding the Striker and eVGA models.

Thanks to all for their replies :thumb:

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

That's shocking, 3 motherboards! I dont remember a new chipset causing so much trouble. I know that a new chipset is normally buggy, but they are normally fixed with bios updates?? Not this time around I guess!
    [/QUOTE]

No, that sounds about right, Tim has gone through around 3 EVGA boards to write a review on, and i still dont think one has been published.
    I on the other hand have had no problems with my EVGA board, not sure on its revision though, but mine was bought from novatech UK, oh the site: www.novatech.co.uk, they might ship to the EU, but i cant say they do or not.

Sam

11. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Scan.co.uk have now got the A1 revisions in stock and they are clearly labeled along side the AR (originals), the A1 rev is cheaper as well for some reason. http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4756 - here you can find out what the A1 rev means.

12. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

That's great...thanks :thumb:

13. Bluephoenix

hmm, maybe I'll have a go at getting some of my old strikers working, stick a couple of 6300's in em and cluster them :naughty:

14. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I'm surprised so many people are having such big problems. I've been running my eVGA 680i for a month now with not one single problem. Am I just uber-lucky?

Regarding that screaming 8800 buisness, my friend had that going on in our Computer Engineering class, he forgot to plug in the 6 pin power. Plugged it in and everything was fine.

15. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

had nothing but greiff with my striker, and the dreaded 8800gtx bsod looping bug... nvidia drivers.....
    also had one mb cease to function, and a set if flex9200 with dodgy results. i think that the revision 1.3 striker is a myth. no body can produce a photo of one. and loads of people on asus forums and other also confirm that it has not yet been proven to exist.

16. Bluephoenix

well, I have two right here but no camera. I'll have to post pics of them as soon as I can get my hands on one.

[edit]: I have found quite few reports of them exisiting in the US, but no reports of them over in europe... strange. :confused:

17. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I guess you are lucky, before buying I checked the eVGA forums and saw that a number of early adopeter had so many problems with the first revision. Thats why I bought the Striker, even though the ASUS forums were highlighting some major issues.

Trust me when I tell you that I checked everything, I tried every way to cable the blasted thing that I could think of and it still screamed at me.

The 1.3 version does exist and they are spreading throughout the retail outlets in the USA, however in Denmark they are not expected to arrive until the 17th April. There is a wall of silence from Asus in terms of them advertising the revision online, however I spoke to Asus tech support on Monday who confirmed it's existance.

18. section8

section8 What's a Dremel?

i have had no trouble overclocking my striker... and its revision 1.00g i think... google the fact that the ldt frequency needs to be changed... thats what i did and its stable at high fsbs...

19. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I already google around, and found many examples of the same striker revision with the same components that I'm using. I tried the same bios settings as those who succedded in overclocking, and got no further.

I also found many people who had the same trouble as I have.....all currently going through the RMA process.