1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Calling all mothers!

Discussion in 'General' started by Mushroomcloud, 13 Jan 2011.

1. Mushroomcloud

Mushroomcloud What's a Dremel?

Where can i get my hands on the ball that is filled with liquid and thrown into a washing machine with the clothes that do not use magnets or based on some other silly idea? Just the regular plastic thing is what i'm hunting for.

2. Just Jon

Just Jon User title provided by Skimtitles

You mean like a tennis ball with a hole cut in it? (pat pending)

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Why didn't I think of this? Been searching for one of those balls since the one I had broke. Apparently they aren't made anymore.

4. Just Jon

Just be aware of errant fluff. Other balls would probably be better, squash balls while small would work, one ball for a half wash, two balls for a full wash.

5. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

6. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

billy mays' blue balls?

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

That's normally the lid of the washing liquid that you use in it mate, like the top of this Bold bottle. It's not a ball, but it's the same principle.

8. Unicorn

That's normally either the lid of the liquid that you use in it or it's supplied with each bottle, like the top of this Bold 2in1 bottle. I'm not sure if you can get them separately or not.

9. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Here is a question from a clothes-washing newbie: Why use a ball like that? Is the normal filling thingy on your washer broken?

10. Just Jon

The filling thingy does not have a measuring scale - seeing as all powders and liquids differ in usage quantities - the ball thingy was introduced to make measuring the liquid based stuff easy to do, while not leaving remains in the cap ( bit like my ketchup bottle lid that always gets gunked up in the stuff), while also providing a marketing tool - being unique for a day or so.

Edit: Why the hell after lurking for so long on Bit-Tech, do I find myself posting rapidly in a domestic thread pretending to know what the hell I'm on about :duh: I'm off back to lurking :worried:

Last edited: 14 Jan 2011
  11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I toss the cap in with the load, then remove it when I transfer the load into the dryer. The caps are just about indestructible, and leaving them in during the wash cycle cleans them out very well. And, since each new jug of detergent comes with a new cap I just retire the old ones to the garage where they serve any number of purposes.

12. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

13. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

14. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

My washer has a pull-out thing for detergent, fabric softener, etc., so haven't ever needed to use one of those balls. A lot of help I am!

15. Unicorn

Stupid forum! I knew I hit the "post quick reply" button the first time, but alas, the post did not appear for about 10 minutes :rolleyes:

16. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Although your drawer doesn't have a measurement line or similar, most modern "concentrated" washing liquids require just 1 cap full put into the drawer for a full load. They also tend to have measuring lines in the cap.

Powders tend to come with a scoop, but they make a bloody mess of the machines insides so I would stick to liquids personally.

You shouldn't really need to do much else, washing isn't particularly about precision so don't worry about it too much or make it any more complex than it has to be :)

17. Psycho

Psycho Average

GET ON THE BALL

18. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Actually washing is quite a precise science and washing machine manufactures spend a lot of time working out cycles to get the optimum wash.

Putting more soap in than is required will not make your clothes cleaner, in fact it just leaves soap residue on them. This is because to maximise efficiency and achieve the best Rating A++ the manufactures limit the rinse cycle to remove the correct amount of detergent without excessive water wastage.

Excessive detergent also causes the machine to become caked in a quite foul smelling soap residue. I recently stripped my mother machine down to replace the front door seal only to find that the drum and cylinder where almost seized together because of the massive amount of soap crud between them. It took me 2 hours digging and scraping to clear the stinky gunk.

Always use the correct dosage of detergent.

I am not quite sure why nobody has tried an auto dose system on machines.