1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Camera flash capacitor voltage?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mace, 19 Jan 2004.

1. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Hey, I was being a 'tard last night.. playing around with a camera that I'd never use again... and I kinda... got shocked e.e

How many volts to typical cameras with flashs pack? I've got two burn marks on my left hand (where the two conductors were when I got fried), and a hella sore arm from the tensing of muscles when you get an electric shock.. lol

2. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Ouch. Not good... definitley not good. Some cameras contain miniature high voltage generators which can generate over 1000V across the capacitor. Fortunatley it is fairly low current, which is why it wasn't fatal...

I did one better once... I touched the high voltage line from a spark plug in a car engine while looking for an electrical fault. While the engine was running. :eeek: 10,000V from the high voltage line went through me and the engine stopped dead. I got chucked away from the car and onto my back.

I think this thread should be moved to the disaster mods section...

Given the number of modders who seem to be shocking themselves, could a 'shocked' smiley be added with sticky up hair?! :D

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

[​IMG]

Courtesy of Atomic :D

4. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Most modern disposable cameras charge a 125uF cap at around 350V.

I presume the pro ones are alot more though.

5. pigcow

pigcow What's a Dremel?

well, the main capacitor is charged up to about 350v ish through the main transformer, BUT that alone would only give a little shock (this is my specialtty, High voltages :D ) The reason you felt a bigger one was because a camera also has another transformer to produce what is known as a voltage spike. this is to charge the flash tube for the camera flash^^. to make the shock bigger, get an old tv and pull out the capacitor bank. hook em up and voila, u got yaself a cap charger and a nice bank to produce a hefty spark. it willalso burn paper, produce a HUGE BANG AND an intense blue spark ball.

note: i will not be held responsible for any actions or consequences that are the result of reading this post and or carrying out the procedure. it is purely to inform about the subject ^^

edit : 100th post hehe^^

6. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Just a quick remainder to anyone that is thinking taser, making a propper charge control circuit for it is hard, but i am assuming u would ignore us saying don't go shocking people, so instead, make sure u do it around someone who knows CPR

7. nothingtrend

nothingtrend What's a Dremel?

I made a stun gun out of a kodak disposable once, was fairly effective at keeping my retarded friends quiet. The camera had a charge button that either charged while you held it, or could be filpped up to charge semi automatically, i forget how I wired it now but if i can find it I will take a pic.

I TAKE NO RESPONSABILITY FOR ANYTHING.... AT ALL.

8. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

You can get upto 20KiloVolts if you just mod the flyback transformer circuit in the TV a little bit. Where you'd find a cap that could store that I have no idea.

But seriously don't even dream this unless you know what your doing, I'm not trying to be dramatic, but one slip and you really could be dead.

9. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

Arc-Welder

The name says it all :)

10. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

what about arc welders? they put out 30-80v from 50-200+ amps on the constant current units and 10-40 @ 90-200 A on the constant voltage units. not really thet exciting.

11. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

they are when used in a impropper fasion :)

The sparks, the bangs the colours!

12. Pandalet

Pandalet What's a Dremel?

It's not the potential difference that kills you, it's a combination of the potential difference and the current. Hence a few kV at tiny currents is fine (hence plasma balls, etc), but a reasonable voltage and lots of current means you'll be picking bits of fried modder out of the carped.

If you don't believe me, take a car battery (which is only capable of 12V, remember) and stick your toungue across the terminals.

(NOTE: if you're stupid enough to stick any part of you across any sort of electrical gear whatsoever, then you deserve what you get, and I take no responsibility for loss of life, limb, hair, bodily function, friends, good odour, respectibility, power supply in your area, or anything else. So there. :nono:)

13. Mark R

Mark R What's a Dremel?

Been there, done that. While certainly unpleasant I doubt that it would cause any significant harm, unless you held your tongue on it so long that you got electrolytic tissue damage.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2004
  14. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

But if you were eating some salty chips (crisps for the brits) beforehand, it could be different then.

and I know about how much fun high current is. A single wire from a wire brush in the stinger and the amperage turned up to about 250A yeilds a nice pop and no more wire :hehe: . I also like to make a puddle with the stick welder, let it grow untill the other side is semi-liquid also. Then poke the puddle with the electrode. The metal gets blown out of the back quite forcefully.

You can get a 6010 or 6011 electrode stuck, and since they are cellulose covered, they heat up and the entire rod starts to smoke and then bursts into flames. I also have fun getting an electrode stuck, untill it is dull orange, and twisting itinto neat shapes.

15. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

Dang take one of those cap banks and some really heavy duty cable. Sprial it (kind of like how you neaten up rope on some boats) and fasten it down real tight. Take a disc off of an old HDD and lay it on top of the flat coil of wire. Set the charge through the bank and send the disc hundreds of feet into the air. :clap:
    Just beware of the surge you get when the magnetic field collapses and well most of you know what happens when you hook up an electrolytic cap backwards.