1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Cameron calls for an end to privacy

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Jan 2015.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What is the case is that monitoring people's private communications is an attack on freedom.

The purpose of monitoring is control of what people (are able to) communicate with each other, which is essentially controlling what they know. Which is the first step in controlling what they think. Orwell was onto something when he said that if you control language, you control thought. If you control communication, you control language.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Do you mean something like this ? :D

[​IMG]

mclean007 and Nexxo like this.
  3. Anfield

Anfield Well-Known Member

4. Nexxo

:clap:

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sadly i think most tech savvy people already know how much surveillance legislation is abused, the problem is (IMHO) that the vast majority don't.

Going on what t5kcannon said and what most of the general public said on Question Time, very few people seem to have any idea about the implications of what they are proposing.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

love it, lol.

7. Nexxo

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

In his book The Blind Giant, Nick Harkaway aptly points out that anonymity is an essential condition for free speech. After the Charlie Hebdo massacre Cameron vows to protect our freedom of speech. He does this by removing the essential condition for free speech.

Think it over, t5kcannon.

mclean007 likes this.
  8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Privacy is also a corner stone of social change, would we now have same sex marriage if people dare not speak out against the norm, if they dare not question existing laws in private with other people ?

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Yes, that is exactly what I think. Not in so many words - I'm not advocating that someone go out and knock up an encrypted chat app just for terrorists. But if the alternative is a crippling invasion of everyone's privacy and online security, then I am strongly in favour of allowing terrorists (since you can't implement a system that only blocks / gives a back door into their comms and not yours and mine) to continue to use iMessage, Whatsapp, Facebook Messenger, encrypted e-mail, encrypted VOIP and anything else to communicate, because the simple truth is that terrorist cells will find a way to communicate covertly and securely, however much regulation the government piles on. Short of shutting down all ISPs and mobile phone operators, all that will be achieved is massive inconvenience and erosion of civil liberties for the 99.9999% of honest, law-abiding people.

You may argue that it is worth sacrificing huge amounts of civil liberty if even one innocent life is saved, but I disagree, not just because I don't think these measures would actually be effective in counterterrorism, but because, if we allow our governments to monitor every minute detail of our online activity, the terrorists have already won.
    No, I don't, for the reasons given above - if the security services can freely monitor terrorists' communications, they can monitor yours and mine too. And then it's a slippery slope - first it's only used to catch terrorists and kiddy fiddlers, next it's used to prosecute ten-year olds for illegally downloading the latest Taylor Swift album. Security services don't exactly have the best track record with data security, either, so how long before your online banking login ends up in the hands of some Russian hacker, or you find yourself being blackmailed under threat of your significant other being sent a copy of your "special" browsing history?

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

And so it begins.
    Document in full (PDF warning).

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The one good thing that may come out of all this is that encryption, and more importantly not sharing encryption keys with authorities will become more prevalent. It seems the more the authorities push the more people are pushing back - Snowden, i would guess caused an increase in people concerned about privacy.

From my understanding anyway the terrorists don't use encryption as it draws the attention of the very people they are trying to avoid, didn't the people involved in the Paris attacks use plain text e-mails and prepaid mobiles?

12. Nexxo

Fair is fair: the US military is not encrypting its Air Force and remote drone communications either, so that the Taliban can more easily listen in via a laptop and a portable parabolic antenna. :p