1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Can a 7800GTX PC compete with an Xbox 360??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mickey123, 10 Sep 2005.

1. mickey123

mickey123 What's a Dremel?

I'm just about to spend my hard earned and am still anxious re: spending a grand only to see every one at Christmas having far better graphics and similar gameplay on a 300 quid Xbox 360.

Will my new 7800GTX pride and joy PC even compete or shall I not bother?

I know there only screenshots but the 360 looks realistic and the PC still stuck in cartoon land.

Considering the 7800gtx is the price of the 360 alone!

2. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

The video card in the 360 is more powerful then the 7800 GTX, but the new nVidia card that comes out in a few months (correct me if I am wrong) is supposed to be faster and better then the 360's GFX.

3. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

Well you have to factor in that the coding for a console game is constructed for a specific hardware design. Everything is optimized for that hardware, and that hardware only. PC games have to be more flexable and less optimized as not every system is going to be the same. Different processors, motherboards, memory, power all add up to an limitless variations of hardware.

4. mickey123

so am I worth buying the Xbox 360?

I can remamber a time when the PC was streets ahead of any consol.

Now it would seem the consol is THE games machine that you can only game on whilst the PC is a good all rounder (IE word spredsheets, internet etc)

Hardly worth splashing out a £1000 on an all rounder??

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

well, think of it this way. You will be limited by the worst part of the system. In the case of the Xbox 360 - you're limited to shite graphics unless you have a TV/screen capable of HDTV IMHO.

The same goes for the PlayStation 3.

6. neillyb

neillyb What's a Dremel?

I'll step in here with the "Doesn't gameplay count for anything these days?" :p

7. mickey123

Read the very first entry. Note the words GAMEPLAY.

:duh:

:D

8. mickey123

^^^^ actually its only one word :D

9. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

This man has obviously not played the F.E.A.R. demo yet.

10. mickey123

^^^^^ Your right mate I havent.

But if FEAR was on the xbox 360, would it be better again?

Mickey

11. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

That really depends on how well it translates. A clean game, optimized for 360, will blow a bad PC job out of the water. For example, Halo. My laptop, with a P4 3.0 ghz, a gig of ram, and a 9700 mobility out-performs the xBox by quite a bit. However, Halo runs way faster (and better) on the xBox. Halo was built for the xBox, and then had a rather poor translation job done to get it onto PC.

Personally, I would suggest you stick with your current system until the 360 comes out, and then see it in action. If it's miles ahead of any PC, get one. If it's only a little bit better (which is what I suspect), you can then get a really fast graphics card, and be almost as good, and waaaay more upgradable.

12. mickey123

Thanks techno.

Are there any plans you know of to make a graphics card that will be better than the 360/PS3?

Mickey

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Of course there are... there always are. There's a new graphics card released every few months.

One other thing... it may be more powerful now, but look at the life cycle of the average console. WHen did XBox come out? 3 years ago was it? Hell... a new GPU for PCs is released every 6 months at least. XBox360 may rock now, but will it still seem so hot this time next year when there are graphics cards 2, possibly 3 generations on? We've not even mentioned CPUs yet either, which march on at a similar pace. Can you imagine the leaps forward PCs would make if new hardware was only reelased once every few years like consoles?

The thing is... do you want to spend all that money on something that essentially just plays games. yes.. I know it does other things as well, but it does them badly compared to a computer. To be honest... I doubt any console will tempt me away from a PC. I may be tempted to buy one as well as a PC, but the only thing that would even do that is the release of something phenomenal that is simply not available on the PC.

I've seen screenies of the 360, and to be honest, i didn't think it looked like THAT good. Very nice, sure... but then again so is F.E.A.R... Even FarCry and HL2 still look good next to it. it's not THAT good people!! It's not as if it's taking a seminal leap forward in games graphics. Everyone is talking as if the 360 will make a high end gaming PC look like a Commodore Vic20... get a grip... it's better, and only then if the games are coded to take full advantage of it. By the time titles are released that do just that, the next gen GPUs will be around, so just Ebay your current GPU, and upgrade.. the cost will probably be around the same as buying a 360... assuming the rest of your rig is fairly current.

Let's not get carried away by those screen shots we've seen of ultra reall buildings, and nice reflections on cars. Any computer can do that... I've yet to see any of this implemented into a real game that you can actually go out and buy... plus... what resolution will that play at anyway? Wait until you can actually walk into Game of HMV and play on one of these things before you get excited. I seem to recall similar threads as this when PS2 was released... did you sell your PC and buy one of those? No...

As much as any hardcore gamer will pretend that it is.... your PC is not just a games machine... the 360 is... so who really cares how good it is anyway? At best it will be sat under your TV, playing the titles that aren't released on the PC.... it will never replace your main rig... not unless you're an idiot.

Last edited: 11 Sep 2005
  14. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

i'd stick with a mid ranged pc due to the amount of stuff you can do with it. also theres a few kerbillion more titles on the pc, depends if you want it purely for gaming or not and if you want to spend sh**tloads of buying every single game.

15. mickey123

Pookey - you have some valid points.

Webby - I need a PC for the net etc. A cheap none 3D GFX PC can do this and more thoughand a with the change you could buy a consol.

I am going to get the gaming pc as I do agree with both of you that consols date quick and can't do much else.

Mickey

16. FaiNT`

FaiNT` What's a Dremel?

wtf are you talking about lol, the PC has less cartoon type games than any other system rofl.

17. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I can't agree more.... here's a random screenshot from, HL2.. not chosen especially... just loaded up the last saved game, and grabbed a screenie... Dead cartoon like huh? Bear in mind, that's with an old 9800pro... imagine it much higher res on a 7800GTX with HD rendering etc!

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Sep 2005
  18. buzz_lips

buzz_lips What's a Dremel?

PC games will always look better due to resolution imo. Since i'm gaming at 1620x1200 games look truly amazing. Games tend to suck on a plain normal TV with the exception of a few games.
    XBox 360 will look good to start off with but it cannot progress anywhere, with you PC you can play about with components etc and upgrade as you go.

Just think the finer details in games will be better. I've had to resize the pick below but I just think PC's give a crisper image, mainly due to the improved resolution.

[​IMG]

Sure the XB360 might look good a a nice HDTV but how much are they??...

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Not only that, TVs are lower res than monitors and in a much bigger space. Granted you're further back, but it's not the same. Console gaming is more stable in general, but imo a controller of any sort can't touch keyboard/mouse.

With graphics... PCs are more advanced than anything available by a huge longshot. The 360 will be ahead for a few weeks maybe. People throw out the high-def argument with console, and how much cheaper they are than an equivalent PC. Waitaminit, you don't have an HDTV yet? Add a few grand to the cost of your console.

You can play games at 720p on a PC with a low-end card... it's only a hair more taxing than 1024x768, and only because it's widescreen and has a few more pixels.

Just wait till you see PC ports of the new 360 games. IMO I'm not too impressed by the 360 as-is, but then again I play my games maxed out at 1600x1200. And as multi-core processing is starting to take off, games will start being coded accordingly and oh goodie, more detail for all. The 360 is 1280x720 2xAA for the minimum requirement to my understanding. Throw that up agianst 1600x1200 4xAA 8xAF. The only 360 advantage right now is some more (or more detailed) textures by the look of it.

I'll keep my PC, thank you. I mean I wouldn't touch a 360 with a 360-foot pole (yeah, I'd like to give even more money to MS, yes I know they lose money on consoles but they make a fortune on games!), but I have no intention of buying a PS3 either.

20. mickey123

Faint - Pooky head has proved my point.

It looks like a cartoon??? Are you all blind????? to compare can you imagine how much a photograph of your face would look so out of place in this cartoon background.

Buzzlips - A better cartoon!! but a cartoon still!!!

Not saying they dont look good mind - Just defending my original coments

I dont want to fall out with anyone here. My point is after much research it would seem the 360/PS3 games are being developed with much more detail in them.
    I don't think it is to do with the hardware anymore. I think the 360 developers are paying far more attention to detail and are putting far more into it. Doesnt anyone agree with this?

Firehead - Your very argument is flawed. The monitor you play your PC games on is well capable of being used by a 360/PS3. You don't HAVE to buy the worlds most expensive HD plasma screen.
    If the monitor you have is good enough for your games now why splash out on more re consols? Just plug your 360 (i know you wont have one) into your monitor

I havent a clue how you post screnshots on here but have a look at http://shop.game.net/gallery.aspx?Index=326908&Count=6&Page=1&Image=4

Then look at FIFA 06 (crap gameplay I know) but they have even included the stitching in the players shirts

The cars on Need for Speed are awsome with the lighting and shine effects they seem to have

Im sure PC hardware could run this however no one (geme manufactures) goes to the lengths to do this.

Like I say, beleive it or not I am a PC fan and I couldnt be without mine just for the internet alone . I just cant see how the PC will compete until the game makers get there fingers out!!!!!!

Mickey

Tags: