1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Can a 7800GTX PC compete with an Xbox 360??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mickey123, 10 Sep 2005.

1. mickey123

mickey123 What's a Dremel?

Pookey

My order. Think you will be pleased

1 x SN25P shuttle
    2x 512MB Ram
    1 x 3500+ athalon
    1 x 6200 GFX (to get me started as current card is APG and so not compatible. Next pay day when i hope to get a 6 or 7800)

0 x Xbox 360:)

As for the debait. It certainly has been good hearing everyones points.

I posted this here in the PC section as I am biased towards the PC as are you. I suppose Ive been playing devils advocate.

It would be interesting to see how an identical thread goes down under the consols section.

Mickey

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Hope you enjoy the new gaming rig. Nice one!!

I'm due an upgrade myself... just waiting to see how a few things pan out, like crossfire, and Socket M2, but I'm getting a bit tired of waiting.

Looks like there's a vapochill cooled X2 4800+ with 7800GTX SLi on the cards here... That should last me a couple of years :hehe:

3. cysus

cysus What's a Dremel?

If people are so concerned about the Xbox 360 overshadowing PC games go to your local Walmart, they'll have a Xbox 360 Demo unit. It looks pretty worthless, lower than BF2 levels. F.E.A.R. puts it to shame, even running on my 3 1/2 year old P4 2.4 (b) and 9700 Pro system. Consoles will never beat PC games, at least not anytime soon.

4. mickey123

No wallmarts in UK fella, sorry

5. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Is it just me or does this happen on every major console relese? :D

Consoles are great, and lots of fun, fairly cheap but they just dont have the same effect on me compared to my pc...

For starters, try playing an fps game on a console is a waste of time, they have to make it too easy with auto aim and stuff like that because you have no control using a controller aswel as crap res on a tv. It also just feels to clumsy and clunky, like somone trying to do Gymnastics in a deep sea diving suit with lead boots. Seriously though, until they let you use a high end pc keyboard and mouse then its not gonna compare, only games where you need another interface are steering wheels for racers and gamepads for beat em ups and platformers, oh and posibly a joystick but I doubt theyl release any proper flight sims.

On the graphics side of things unless you already have a high end HDTV-LCD/Plasma then youre not gonna see most of the graphics improvents (the res still aint that high either), so with that £300 you will need another £1000+ unless... you dont care about graphics :p

To sum up my really crap writing, consoles are great fun but if you are really into games and high end graphics stick with your pc.

Buy an X-Box 360 when the price goes down and a 7800GTX in March (should be cheaper then) :thumb:

BF2 is still the BLX on the multiplayer FPS front TBH!!!!!

6. mickey123

Or buy a 7800GT now for around 100 pound less and only 7FPS less too. GTX is a rip off compared to the GT. 100 quid for around 7FPS more is maddness but I get your point

BF2 on a high end PC is the best computer game ever made. Amazing!!

Mickey:]

7. valium

valium What's a Dremel?

funniest thing i have heard all week.

8. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

Well i think there are a few factors to be hinted at.

1)Alot of the x360's launch games are being released on PC, so you'll probably get the same quality, and probably better once you get a new graphics card in six months.

2)Even though some of the x360's games will be released on pc, there will always be tons of console style games that will be released that are pretty damn good, and warrants a buy of the system.

3)Its been reported that the the x360 doesnt look very good on a normal television. So if you dont have a HDTV and you have a decent PC, wait a while to get one.

4)Do you like playing your games on a Controller, or a keyboard/mouse. If you like the controller, get the console, if you like a keyboard/mouse, stay with PC.

But to the main question, the 7800GTX will probably be about the same graphics as most of the x360 games really arnt pushing the system at this time and there will be no doubt that you will be able to get a gfx card that surpasses the system soon. But what you wont be able to get in a long while, is the processing power of the 360 without spending a grand or two. Though you probably wont be able to get the same type of games for the PC either as you do for the console, its just a total different market.

9. otm3x

otm3x What's a Dremel?

Honesty, I think Consoles are for kids..

Although , I am not 18 yet. I drained my wallet to get a X850 XT PE.
    Why? Because It's totally a different " Gameplay" with a PC and a 19'' Moniter.

I 've played titles on Xbox.
    It makes fun. But not as enjoyable as PCs.
    I play FEAR with 10*7 2AA, 8AF . with average 60-70FPS..
    awesome image quality..!

Xbox 360 seems good around these few months..
    a few months later. it's totally different story on PC hardware
    I can't suffer sticking with the Xbox 360 for like 4years.

Consoles can have the same effects and details :
    because Pcs are on much higher res.
    and consoles are on low res.
    Therefore, consoles dont have to be that powerful. also. console games and
    OS are programmed for consoles.

Consoles have much loss clear image . !!

10. DivineSin

Err..the next gen consoles support 720p output on every single game, and the ps3 will support 1080i/p. Now, do you run any game at 1920x1080? You said you played on a 19" screen, most people with a HDTV will be playing on a 32+ inch screen.

Btw, theres nogameplay difference in a kickass graphics card and a 19" monitor, its graphical differences. But there is a big difference in what kinds of games get released on pc and what kind of games get released on consoles. But you definatly cant say consoles are for kids...

11. otm3x

otm3x What's a Dremel?

Ture, next gen Consoles seems scary of the specs.
    But have u realise that consoles are programmed to
    run around 30- 40 FPS.. ? which is playable on a console.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2005
  12. DivineSin

Uhh, standard output to a television is 640x480 for one thing. Secondly, did you not even read my post? These next gen consoles output in HIGH DEFINTION, thats a higher resolution, not only this but the consoles support antialiasing. Btw..how can you compare a 9600 to the gpu inside the x360? I really hate saying anything good about the 360, but seriously..your just making up stuff now.

13. otm3x

otm3x What's a Dremel?

yeah, next gen consoles run on HD . ok , Consoles can run better
    because of the OS and graphics are specialized to achive
    maximum smoothness gameplay , but taking out some of the textures.

14. mickey123

Grafix aside, i think consols rock when it comes to two player games [IE two people on the same machine]and PCs rock at multi [over the net] or single player

I now have a 7800GT AMD3500 venice PC, yet am still buying tiger woods on my old xbox [ not 360 either ] .
    The amount of fun me n my mate used to have in the relaxing enviroment of the front room or bed room on a consol cant be matched by a PC.

PCs though - it will be PS'4' never mind '3' before consolers see the likes of online games like Battlefield 2!!

I feel both suite diff setups and its not just about power or grafix.
    If you always have mates round alot get a consol. If your a loner or like indepth none arcade games then get a PC.

Consols to me are fun, PCs are serious - theres space in my life for both.

If I only had one choice it would be a PC however.

Mickey

Tags: