1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Can a device damage headphones?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by acron^, 29 Sep 2003.

1. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

My MP3 Player has eaten three pairs of headphones in a month! I buy them and after [insert time period < 1 week] one of the ears just dies!

Today I went to town specifically to buy headphones.
    [stupid] In my haste I threw away the packaging and receipt! [/stupid]
    They worked!.....for 30 minutes, then the right ear packs up!

Could it be my MP3 player doing this?

2. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak What's a Dremel?

if its sending too much current to the phones then yes its possible. Have you tried the headphones on any other device??

Cheers

3. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Yea but only after they stopped working.

4. ocha

ocha Minimodder

did the mp3 player not supply you with headphones. how long did they work for? How loud have you got it through the headphones, full volume from the mp3? when they stop working what happens do they start to buzz in one of the ears?

G{u}ns

5. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Yeah, it came with headphones and they lasted ages. I have to have the MP3 player at full volume, because after years of goin to gigs and clubs, my hearing is absolutely shot to pieces.
    When they start to break, one ear starts to kinda crackle a bit then cut out. I can usually twiddle the input and it'll come back but over time the problem degenerates until I can no longer twiddle anything - it just doesn't work.

6. ocha

ocha Minimodder

well it probably the fact that a - they aren't the units original headphones and so are not built to the standard the mp3 players originals were or could handle the same power and that your putting so much through them. I have my minidisc earphones on half volume. Sometimes more but I have to work with my ears. I.e. my job is to listen so I need them. Protect your ears and if possible turn the unit down a bit.

G{U}ns

7. guzzler

guzzler What's a Dremel?

not true, all headphones will happily handle the output from an MP3 player... check for a DC offset in the output from the MP3 player, as this can really stress a set of earphones...

but the best thing to do, when you've ironed out the problem, get yourself some Sennheiser MX500's, awesome little earbuds and sound cracking too!

g

8. micb

micb Minimodder

MP3 players turned up to the max CAN damage earphones.

Most mp3 players run between 4 mw and 20 mw @ average headphone 16-32 ohm loads.

Amplifier clipping occours if it is pushed too far and the speakers are damaged.

I am currently in the process of building a portable headphone amplfier (CMOY) which delivers many times the clean power of a MP3/CD player.

I have a pair of Sennheiser MX 500's they are good earphones.

9. dfhaii

dfhaii internets

yea it'll be dc which is smokin voicecoils most likely, test it with a meter anything over >20mV is bad news really, if it is then i suggest following micbs route of a cmoy from the line out (the amp has a input capacitor which will flatten dc on input) and micb that amp sounds quite good i have built me a few using both the opa 134 and ne5534's got them in altoids tins \o/.

Col