1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone reccomend a Thermalright XP-120 hs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hazza, 21 Jan 2005.

1. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

As someone who's had very good use from a ThermalRight SLK-700 for my Athlon XP, I was looking at getting a ThermalRight XP-120 hs for my upcoming Athlon 64 kit.

I jus wondered if anyone had any experience with this hs, or if they have any other high quality hs' to reccomend. I am prepared to pay up to £40 for it and I'm looking for the best S939 hs i can find :D

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

As far as Air Cooling on Skt939 goes, i think the XP-120 is the canine's testes afaik... :thumb:

3. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

excellent :D ill be having me one of those then

4. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Modder

I have one buddy on my 3500 winny with a 18db fan cools @ 32 idle and about 38 odd when gaming,cant go wrong with getting one of these puppy`s :thumb:

5. Mosha

Mosha What's a Dremel?

Get a XP120 or an XP90... I think that the XP90 is better by maybe 2-4 degrees but with that its with a 45Db fan and the XP120 with a mere 18Db fan

6. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

Added a ThermalTake Spark7+ to a 3.2 Prescott core Intel.

Temps on stock cooling - 68 to 72
    Spark 7+ with insanely noisey 70mm fan at 6000+ rpm - 62

XP120 with recommended PanaFlo fan - 56 on high - 59 on low......high is barely audible and on low you cant hear nothing over the PSU. I also suspect my onboard temp sensor is full of crap but hey a 12 to 14 degree drop over stock cooling works for me.

ABIT IS7-E2 with 3.2 Prescott Intel at 100 percent load all the time

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I used an XP90 on a friend's build, great HSF. The XP120 can only be better, assuming it'll fit! It took both of us to get the mounting clips pressed in... thank god for the IHS or else he'd of definately been down a proc.

8. barry_n

barry_n What's a Dremel?

i just got a xp120, but the monkeys at OcUK sent me a 80mm fan with it instead of the 120mm i ordered... common sense must have been off work that day.

9. hudzoid

hudzoid Minimodder

what fan would you recommend to use with it

10. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

I used the PanaFlo fan that ThermalRight recommended, dont remember the model number but its on ThermalRights website. Very nice fan, sturdy and well build - good cfm, low noise.

11. Kensei

Kensei What's a Dremel?

The XP 120 is an excellent HS......So long as you have a removeable motherboard tray.

Trying to fit the clips on a mobo on a fixed tray is a horrendously long and painfull (grill bites into the flesh) experience requirign some real contortion to get done.

Temp wise it's good but there are better.

The coolermnaster Hyper 6 for example runs between 3 and 6 deg. cooler, and the arctic cooling freezer 64 is also a purveyor of astounding temps.

All of the above HS are monsters but all also provide excellent cooling. Unless you are a serious OCer (in which case you'll be getting WC or Phase Change) then any of the above are to be recommended.

12. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

ok, im off for the xp 120, thanks guys. im gettin it from OCUK too so I hope the common sense is back for when they take my order lol.
    Im getting a YS-Tech 120mm fan with it, seemed to have the best CFM/noise I could find.

Thanks again

13. SECRETCOMMANDO

SECRETCOMMANDO What's a Dremel?

I've used both the XP-120 and the Asus Star Ice jet engine thingy and its the Star Ice that i'm using right now.

I found that on my AV8 3rd eye the Star Ice [with two 3000rpm 80mm fans] is about 5c cooler than the XP-120 with a 125cfm YS-Tech 120mm fan. The XP-120 is also VERY hard to fit onto the AV8 3rd Eye due to all the capacitors around the cpu socket. These make it really difficult to get all four mounting clips in place.
    The Star Ice is easier to install as its size is mostly verticle rather than the XP-120s horizontal wingspan. This keeps the Star Ice away from the ram slots [just] and clear of those pesky capacitors too.

The Star Ice is also quieter than the Xp-120 with that 125cfm fan on it but thats to be expected really, although running the Star Ice at its full 4600rpm creates an incredably whiney noise, a bit like Gwyneth Paltrow in Sky Captain...

The Star Ice is also £35 Vs the XP-120s £35 + plus cost of fan.

14. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

rite this should be interesting cos im getting an AV8 3rd eye mobo too ...
    oh well, its ordered now. i have a fan controller so the noise of the YS-Tech fan aint a prob. I was worried about weather the star ice would fit in my case - let alone the board lol. ill jus have to see how fitting the xp120 to my mobo is gona be .... ill let you know

15. barry_n

barry_n What's a Dremel?

on the thermalright webby it said "Slight Cap tilting required" to get it to fit on p4c800-e, they lie about the slight, i had to tilt mine a good 20 degrees before the xp120 wud even sit properly.

i was praying my ass off when i switched it on, breaking this mobo wud have sent me over the edge!

16. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

20 degrees is slight
    not like you had to bend it 70 degrees or anything :D

17. Hazza

Hazza What's a Dremel?

well it arrived today and i fitted it asap, no problems at all. i had to 'persuade' some capacitors out the way bt no big problems at all. my 3500 idles at 2 degrees above room temp :D about 35 degrees at load, regardless of room temp. its gooood lol. thanks for the help everyone :thumb: