1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Can AUTO voltages rise too high?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mm vr, 12 Nov 2008.

1. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

So why I'm asking this is that because nowadays the auto voltage doesn't mean stock voltage anymore.

When I'm overclocking, I let most of the voltges be on auto. The question is that can these voltages left on auto rise too high and possibly shorten the lifespan of the components or even damage them?

I'm using an Asus P5Q Pro but I'd like to hear a universal answer. :)

TIA

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

From my experience, leaving voltages on auto is a bad idea. The voltages increase way too much when OCing. Best bet is to OC till it crashes on boot, then back off till it's stable, reduce voltage to minimum stable values, then add .05v to be sure.

3. mm vr

The only voltages I'm changng manually are the core and memory voltages. The other ones are a bit strange as I'm not 100% sure if that voltage is that one etc. as everybody uses different names for them. So I leave them on auto.

The question still remains, can the voltages rise damagingly high?

4. mm vr

Doesn't anybody know the answer?

5. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

for sure the vcore increased when left on auto for me as did the ram freq, the only settings i changed from auto were vcore, ram, ram timings,ram freq, as for the north and southbridge i know nothing about so left them alone

6. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

When you overclock, anything left on auto will go up. Yes it can go up too high. Yes you can damage the board.

When I overclock I set everything. If I dont know what it does, I research it until I find out what it should be set to.

7. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Ypu best bet is to find out the stock voltages and set them to that, then when your overclocking if you need more volts then give it some. This way you are in control and you can then overclock as much as possible on as lower volts as possible.