1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Can I connect a CDROM drive to a USB HDD caddy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xen0morph, 7 May 2009.

1. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Hi,

I've just bought an Acer Aspire One laptop (Linux version). While the installed O/S is very good, I need Windows on it for my job so I need to somehow install it.

I've heard reports of people doing it via a USB flash memory stick, but that seems like quite a lot of faffing. I lack a proper external CDROM but I have a USB hard drive caddy that has an IDE connection.

If I connect a cd rom drive to this caddy, will it pick it up and boot from it, and should it install OK? I know the proper answer is "Try it and see" but it's buried in my cupboard and I don't want to get it out if it won't work!

2. Sp!

Sp! Well-Known Member

I've done it with a usb to hard drive/laptop hard drove/ sata cable without any problem, but I guess you'll have to try it and see if it works with your caddy (also if it's a caddy are you going to have some physical issues with the size of the thing??)

3. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Yes to the first question, as to fitting it in a caddy, there is no need! Just leave it on the desk. Failing that, cut a hole in the front! :dremel: