1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i do this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lucy2005, 6 Jan 2005.

1. Lucy2005

Lucy2005 New Member

hi my pc has just died :waah: so i was wondering if i could use my hard drive on a friends pc to get some stuff i need for work???

thanks in advance for any help :thumb:

2. DivineSin

DivineSin New Member

Yea you can, all you need to do is plug in your HD on his secondary (slave). Windows should automaticly detect the hard drive and you should be able to access the files. However if your hard drive is the reason your computer is dead, you probly wont be able too.

3. craig

craig New Member

If you put your hdd in your friends pc you will be able to access the data on it(as long as its not the hard drive that has died) just make sure you set the jumpers correctly.

4. Lucy2005

Lucy2005 New Member

ahhh right thanks, so i have to keep there original hard drive in and set mine to slave... it doesnt matter that i have windows xp and everything then?

oh and no it wasnt my hdd that died

5. craig

craig New Member

beat me to it :wallbash:

6. camel

camel New Member

the only thing that might matter is if their pc is running win95/98 and your drive is formatted to ntfs; if they're on w2k/xp or the drive is FAT then you should be fine.

(out of interest, how did the pc meet its doom?)

7. Lucy2005

Lucy2005 New Member

well i was buggering about with a new power supply (tagen 480) which i bought for my new pc and i forgot to unplug it as i was putting stuff in and i smelt smoke and promptly crapped myself, then i tried booting it up but nothing lol, hope my hard drive will be ok???

8. liuh

liuh New Member

what do you mean you didnt unplug it before hooking up the power?

... hmm...

9. camel

camel New Member

your HD is probably ok - they're quite resilient these days, most will autopark in case you have a sudden power loss. You might have corrupted some of the data or damaged somesectors though.

Good luck