1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Can I Go Solo With Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 27 May 2009.

1. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Well, that sucked. I tried booting up my 7 partition the other day, and just toally out of the blue and random, failed start up. Hanging at the "Loading..." screen for Windows. Tried it a few times, and nothing. All that I could do really was reformat and start again. Which I did.

No idea what caused it. I am incredibly careful about keeping my PC secure from infections and the like (I have had one in the last year, and that was through no fault of my usual procedures), and the computer was 100% clean two days before hand (at least according to Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and avast!).

At least on the plus side, all the old installation is saved to windows.old, meaning I can copy out any files, work, saves etc I want before removing the folder (through Disc Clean Up, I do not suggest just deleting it!). If this is a new addition, then I am very much impressed. Brand spanking new install with the old files saved just incase. What's not to love?

I was incredibly annoyed at first, but when I found all my old stuff safe and sound, I have to admit, I was surprised and impressed.

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

That's exactly my current setup, and as you guessed, XP is seeing very little usage. I thought I'd keep Win7 on the side as a toy, but it's turned into my main OS pretty much overnight. I love it. Absolutely love it; for the first time in my living memory, Microsoft have really impressed me. Probably because it's the first time in anyone's living memory that Microsoft have actually listened to customer input and feedback.

Oh, it's every bit the release Vista should have been. I can't wait. Hell, my feelings towards it are so warm, I might even pay for it when the time comes instead of being a torrent Scrooge...

3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I'm impressed with Win7 also (unlike Vista). There're still 2 points that irk me somewhat.

First, under the hood Win7 is actually still slower than XP. You just don't realize it, since the UI responds way faster, which in many ways probably is more important.

Second, the whole Vista DRM subsystem is sadly still in there. And before anyone argues that this is unimportant and not a problem; just because it's dormant most of the time doesn't mean it isn't there. And it does take up unecessary resources and it has had an impact on the design of several other Windows components. I'd have loved to have Microsoft shift all that into a special media center edition, so the regular Windows versions would have been unencumbered by it.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

saw a desktop with kubuntu and gnome recently looking up an old friend.. makes me want to boot win7 and linux- but really win7 is vista with gui and some memory tweaks

the embedded vm looks like a pretty cool addon and can't wait for the new dx11 cards, see what's up with that.. it looks like anyone who buys a vista bundled with a new computer from july 1, 2009 to jan 1, 2010 get a free upgrade to win 7 too

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

azrael and boiled_elephant I have the same setup, XP 32 and Win 7 64 in a dual boot, and just like boiled_elephant said I thought it was going to be a toy but Win 7 is my new favorite OS

My only problem with Window 7 is that AOL 9.0 doesn't work, I've tried downloading AOL 9.1 and 9.5 but since it's AOL it hasn't worked

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

It ought to work; have you tried the older version in compatibility mode? Compatibility mode set to Vista SP2 tends to make everything work.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

from what I've read 9.0 doesn't work with vista either but I can always try

8. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

The real problem with burning or even reading at max speed is that there can be a higher chance of jitter. Most drives do not have good jitter reduction and therefore you need to burn at low speed to prevent corruption. If you look at how audiophiles copy music it is always at the lowest speed and is even read twice to account for jitter. They also spend big bucks on cd players that have extensive anti jitter technology allowing music to be played in real time without needing to worry about the quality.

Tags: Add Tags