1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Can I install windows Xp From a USB drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by sammo1999, 26 Mar 2007.

1. sammo1999

sammo1999 What's a Dremel?

Hey,

If I extract the files from my windows xp cd to a USB flash drive and set a computer to boot from USB with that flash drive inserted will i then be able to install XP?

I'm going to try it out but would like to know if i should expect it to work or not.

Thanks
    Sammo1999

2. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

You obviously never bothered to Google the subject first Sammo :idea:

Illustrated walkthrough (on): 'Creating a bootable USB flash drive for Windows XP'
    Boot Windows XP from a USB flash drive
    +
    Boot Windows XP from a USB flash drive

There are many more hits to be found on Google... although I can't vouch for whether any of them (including those I've linked to above) actually work or not?

Nor can I vouch that this HP Drive Key Boot Utility will work with whatever pendrive you're using... but it [apparently] has for some?

3. sammo1999

sammo1999 What's a Dremel?

The first thing I did when I got the idea was, in fact, search the internet using google. I was in a hurry but I skimmed through a few of the pages google provided, but they, like they links you provided were for running windows xp installed on a USB drive, not booting with a USB drive to install windows xp onto the hard drive of the pc.

Sorry if if my first post was ambiguous.

-Sammo1999

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

One problem you may hit is that (IIRC) my pendrive DOS boots as the C: drive, so trying to install the OS from it would b0rk all the path settings stored to registry. YMMV, mine's an old BIOS.

Tags: