1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Can I use Optane?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AT0MAC, 27 Apr 2018.

1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

I am building a 8600K system (see my signature)

I have a PCIe16X Graphics card, 3x SATA6 drives, a 4x Nvme drive - and am just wondering, could I add a Optane card to speed up my game drive? It's a 1TB WD Black harddrive.

I boot from the Nvme, so thats not a problem at all, but would love to lover boot times in games.

Im unsure if my Asus X Code Z370 have enough PHC+CPU threads to handle everything without limiting something?

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Can you? I think so... I think you've got enough lanes...

Should you? [i.e. is it worth it?] Assuming you're on about one of the 16/32GB m.2 jobbies... I'm leaning towards no... If memory serves you'd probably get more benefit [certainly less grief] from just putting the games on a cheap SATA SSD

3. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

I have my most played games on a 250GB Sata, and the rest on the 1TB black, its just that the size games have these days I can barely even have 4 games on the SATA and I like to switch things up so I dont stick to juts one game at a time and it really bugs me whenever I have to play from the HDD.

Optane is so dirt cheap, way cheaper than a bigger SSD, and would be really easy pluggin into the m2 slot on the side of my mobo.

Could be fun to test out if it actually makes a difference

4. RedFlames

It only makes a difference iir if you only ever play one game at a time [and enough of the games' vitals will git on the 16/32GB optane chache-y bit]... the first time you load it up it'll be at rust spinner speeds even with optane.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

A 1TB Crucial MX500 is like £200, so I don't think it is worth the smallish and situational benefits of those micro Optane drives.

6. RedFlames

No worrying about PCIE lanes either.

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It’s not worth it. It’s designed to cache small files that are frequently accessed. You’ll be wasting your cash.

RedFlames likes this.
  8. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Great advice, thank you. Will not do it then :)

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

In Techreport's testing, an HDD + Optane actually ended up faster for game loading times than a cheap SSD. It's not going to give any performance boost (no drive will, unless you;re trying to run from a decade old laptop spinner or something) but if you have a free slot it'll give a not immeasurable boost.

10. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

Its interesting and I think I will at some point do my own testing, but as pricing goes I ended up buying a extra RGB fan frame, costing the same as an Optane drive so it will not be right now.
    Thanks anyway for the link, appreciate it