1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Can make up my mind on a stereo

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 28 Feb 2022.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I want to replace the stock unit in my Insignia with something a little fancier.

My two options are as follows

More of a stock look which I do prefer but slightly lower specs, it also has a replacement head unit that plays dvds

https://www.iceboxauto.com/vauxhall-opel-insignia-2008-13-gps-navi-android-10-oem-style-radio-vx019

Bigger screen and high specs but isn't as aesthetically pleasing to me and seems to be more of a built in tablet as I don't think it replaces the cd unit built into the dash.

https://www.iceboxauto.com/vauxhall...carplay-android-auto-110-bt-dab-8core-dhg2975

I'm leaning towards higher specs but at the same time I have to look at it on a daily basis

Opinions please.

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I always keep my interior spotless, as such I couldn't in all faith look at a tablet glued to the dash. It would also put me off buying a car as it just feels like the actions of someone who wouldn't maintain a vehicle properly.

The first one looks perfectly stock, however.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Personally, I don’t trust modification to any perspective vehicle. So I view modifications like this de-valuing the asset, thus unless I’m sure vehicle is being kept for a long time, I’ll live with it.
    A phone mount is cheaper and achieves everything you need?

Having said that, I’d always go for the one with latest software. Function over form.

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I will be keeping the car for ages plus I will be keeping the old stuff so I can change it all back if I did sell, it's all harness's and plug and play so easy to do.

wyx087 likes this.
  5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

FWIW, I did a double-DIN upgrade in a Corsa C a couple of years back and installed a Sony headunit with android and carplay. Lots of bits available to do the job, including some replacement bits of dash, but some dremeling was required. End result was great, but not in the slightest bit 'stock' in so far as a double DIN screen was never an option on a Corsa C.

https://connects2.com/ do some double din kits - I would personally go for an established brand HU and an install kit.

6. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I did the same with my Vectra, I still have the Sony double unit and that's going to be sold to help fund one of these, it wasn't android though, i have that option but I don't want to mess the look of the dash up that much and i really want rid of the horrible red LCD screen that's in there now.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd go for the Android 10 item and tick the box for Carplay - that way you have significant scope for future-proofing, but the closest to OEM looks you can manage.

https://www.iceboxauto.com/vauxhall-opel-insignia-2008-13-gps-navi-android-10-oem-style-radio-vx019

I agree about tablets sticking out of the dash like ElThompsono, which are a horrid solution. Both will replace the OEM unit in that location FWIW.

I had an Android HU in my old Merc W211 which was fabulous - it wasn't perfect, but close enough to OEM-looking, and although it was a ballache to set up (with a 3 meter wiring loom running into the boot to replace the MOST amplifier), it was worth the effort.

8. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I recently got an Android on in my car (Passat) with wireless Carplay, probably the best thing I've done gives you all the map tools and media integration you could need, not sure if they do an Eonon R53 (9" Android 11) for your car, that's what I have now talks to the CANBUS so shows things like door opening tyre pressures an climate control details.

My only complaint is the screens a little dim in carplay mode, likely a setting I'm missing as outside carplay its easily readable and has an IPS screen so its not fuzzy,

9. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Car play is for Iphones right?

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yes, but I suspect from that site they mean it's both Android Auto and Carplay compatible (with the option obvs), as it's used fairly fluidly between brands etc.

11. legoman

legoman breaker of things

They do, sorry should have been more clear I have an android phone it works perfectly on.