1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can someone check this over please? :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ColdArmor, 11 Jun 2007.

1. ColdArmor

ColdArmor What's a Dremel?

building an updated rig for this summer
    my current one was built in 2003 & still has an AGP8x card and PATA drives, i thought it would be a good time to build a new pc, maybe use my current one for a linux box or something.

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3857409
    im planning on taking 1 pata drive (80gb) out of my current comp and using that as the windows boot (even though ill have to reinstall) and thats why ive selected a board that still has 2 avail slots for ata drives...

do you think the combo drive is a good idea? I want to be able to burn cd's but still have a dvd drive...

this will be my first time dealing w/ SATA in a build, ive read up and it seems pretty straight forward, anything i should know?

thanks in advance- :)

2. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

go C2D, its idiocy not to at this point.

wait until after the C2D price cuts in july and get an e6300 or 6600 and either a P35 or Nforce 6 motherboard.

doing that should give you a comp that will last you quite a while.

on the subject of cases stay the heck away from RAIDmax cases my friend back home got one and it promtly fell apart. since you can reuse a good case again and again, getting a good one (P180/182, CMS 830, TJ-07/09, etc) is a wise investment.

as for graphics cards, go for a 8800GTS 320MB version, as it will not have to be replaced for a long while.

for the CD/DVD drive, just shell out for an SATA Multi-drive (DVD+/-R/RW DL Burner) if you plan to use the ATA for HDDs

as for PSU I'd go for a corsair HX520 or an Antec NeoHE 550

3. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 What's a Dremel?

yeah i would go with a dvd burner sata or other wise because they are only a few dollars more expensive

Bluephoenix i think this guy is on a small budget so c2d is a bit $$$$ for him

if i was you i would go with 2GB of 533 or 667 ram and spend the money on a x2 3600 or x2 3800 as the extra performance of 6400 ram is very little

LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD Burner - OEM $28.99 (the difference between sata and ide for dvd drives is non existent other that the cable management )
    Same HDD $66.99
    OCZ Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ26672048VDC-K - Retail $58.49
    Same PSU $69.99
    SAPPHIRE 194L Radeon X1650 256MB GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $69.99 (should be a fair bit more powerfull that a 7300gs)
    gfx charts
    Same Mobo $74.99
    Mobo should come with some sata cables so i dont think you need to buy any
    case is up to you $49.99

= $419.43 i think (might have missed something) that leaves $74.47 for the cpu
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO3600DDBOX - Retail $69.99
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+(65W) Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO3800CUBOX - Retail $73.50

this should give you more bang for your buck

Last edited: 11 Jun 2007
  4. ColdArmor

thanks for the suggestions im going to check the stuff out today

o and the sata cables arent for this build my friend needed some so i just added 2 on the wish list so when i add to cart i can just order some for him

btw- this is kind of a budget build, i guess you could say, this summer im trying to pay off my vehicle & build a new computer, I was trying to keep it well under $650... of course im planning on upgrading some things this winter again when ive got more $$$

Last edited: 11 Jun 2007
  5. trig

trig god's little mistake

makes no sense to spend money now, then again in the winter
    id keep the rig you have now and save the money until you have all you need. not to mention the price cuts in july on intel should make them more competitive in the "budget build" sector. also, what do you do with your rig? do you game? if so, what games and what size of monitor?

6. ColdArmor

i got a 20" flat CRT, the only games i play on the computer are RTS' & FPS (Source, HL2, 1.6, Halo, etc.) most of which aren't that demanding...

7. trig

trig god's little mistake

k, so really, save up till winter would be my advice, or at least until cuts in july. if amd is still cheaper or they drop prices a little more to stay under intel, then its a win/win. but if ur rig can make it until you have all the money ur gonna spend on upgrading, then wait. you never know what will be out then.

8. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 What's a Dremel?

well if i was you i would spend the 650 on a good c2d mobo , case and then go cheap on everything else so you can upgrade later other wise save up till winter

9. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

not true. newer chipsets do not have native support for ide, support is provided by an extra chip, which you have to install drivers for in windows. installing drivers without a cd drive is lots of fun. an sata drive is only $2-3 more, it doesn't make sense not to get it. i highly recommend the pioneer sata optical drives.

edit: the above is all hearsay, i own an sata optical drive and have never had to try installing an ide drive on my new motherboard.