1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Someone Help Me Out With A Minor Problem...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XplicitContent, 27 Jul 2005.

1. XplicitContent

XplicitContent What's a Dremel?

My PC is done, and working...well sorta. I got my PC to play games like FarCry and Call of Duty. Then it stopped playing FarCry by only booting up the game, the first loading screen, then restarts the pc, and Call of Duty is acting up about some video/color problems. So I reformatted, and FarCry starting working the first time. Then a day or two goes by, and its doing the same thing again, restarting at the loading screen with the two characters when you first start up the game. Now, its not the drivers, or video card because it DID work. Me and my friend think its a defective motherboard but for some reason it plays/handles everything else fine. I dont know whats going on, so I came to you guys.

Plz help. Thanks.

2. ChillingSP

ChillingSP What's a Dremel?

First thing that comes to my mind is a hard-drive malfunction.
    You could try some HD diagnostics.

3. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

The way to eliminate things is not to say - well it did work at one time. It would be nice if it were that easy, but many times it is not.

e.g. I play Guild Wars on a 6600 (nVidia). It worked fine for the first 2 months or so. However, it developed a glitch sometime after that. I went to some very old FX(nVidia) or pre FX (im not sure) and the glitch went away - never to be seen again (on the non-6600). It also goes away with a 6800GT, but the point is, the 6600 worked for two months and then developed a persistant problem.

What I would suggest is finding a different Video card and playing on that one for awhile. If the video card is say from a different manufacturer, and the problem is persistant - only then can you rule out the drivers and video card.

If the problem only arises in these two games, the odds are very good its the drivers and/or video card (or of course the games themselves).

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Update the game with patches, and make sure all your drivers are up to date, a lot of the time its poorly written drivers! What are your specs anyway.

5. XplicitContent

XplicitContent What's a Dremel?

My video card is a eVGA nVidia Geforce 6600GT 128mb 128-bit AGP 8x and I installed the drivers that came with the cd, assuming its new. It seems to play everything else fine, hmm. I can try a different driver. I dont want to assume the card is defective bc it isnt as it DID play games, and runs everything else fine now. I had to send back the XFX nVidia Geforce 6800GT card bc it wouldnt work right, so I got this 6600GT instead. I think its either my mobo or sumthing..

Whats the FIRST thing I should do..?