1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Can the following be done on a single machine

Discussion in 'Software' started by CodeRed, 29 Aug 2007.

1. CodeRed

CodeRed New Member

The aim Set-up linux on an AMD Thunderbird 1.4Ghz with 512Mb, 160Gb HDD, so that is can do all of the following
    • IMAP server to share emails between laptop and desktop + be able to access the emails via the web
    • Excellent anti-virus / spam protection
    • Backup files from desktop and laptop
    • Download torrents
    • Remote access to the server as it will be set-up with out keyboard, mouse, monitor
    • NAS
    • Be able to handle file size over 4Gb

If anyone has any good step by step guides then that would be most appreciated.

2. Morphine-Kitty

Morphine-Kitty Dead account.

Might I suggest the "Build your own server" guide made by our very-own genius Glider?

Linkage

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yes it can, but don't expect stellar performance... Amavis / ClamAV / spamassassin do take up quite some cycles... So does backup tarring (like Backuppc does)

For the Filesharing, try that article that Morphine-Kitty linked ;) I heard it's quite good :D

For the mailserving / AV, Postfix, Courier, Amavis, ClamAV, Spamassassin and Procmail to the rescue
    For the backups, nothing beats BackupPC

EDIT: on a side note, from a security point of view having backups and fileserver combined is a nightmare... If your mobo goes out, and takes your HD with it, you lost both backup and original data ;)

4. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

4GB file size may be a problem. I'm not too sure about 4GB file size support under 32-bit Linux. If you do get this up and running, I'd be interested in doing it myself.

Andy

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Don't mix up RAM size and filesize. Alltough Linux handles them both, >4GB RAM is no problem (alltough it loses some efficiency), and filesizes on ext2/3 go as high as 16GB to 2TB / file

6. Shielder

I thought there were some apps (eg tar) that had certain problems with filesizes over 2GB?

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Applications can be limited, tar was limited to 8GB, but patchable

8. Shielder

Ah! I see. I know that there were problems with Solaris and 2GB files, I was under the impression that Linux had the same problem unless the system was 64-bit. Obviously my knowledge of that side of things is a little old...

Thanks for the info.

Andy

Tags: