1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Can this GTX285 be saved.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wafflesomd, 1 Dec 2011.

1. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

So my buddy just lent me his GTX285 as he upgraded to a 6970. He has had issues with it since he got it, but it's a BFG card so there isn't exactly anyone to contact about the issue.

I took the heatsink off and noticed that one of the indcutors ceramic (pretty sure it's an inductor) was cracked. I went ahead and removed the ceramic covering and the wiring inside seems to be perfectly fine.

Now what I'm thinking, and based on the large amount of google results is that the card just needs to have it's clocks dropped. The issues are consistent with having too high of and OC and it's their pre-OC'd version of the card.

Will the inductor be alright? I can probably replace it if need be, it's a pretty large component.

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Go to the retailer using the Sale of Goods Act 1979 to get Replacement, Repair or Refund (UK Law).

Read signature thread, although now it's been tampered with it may be too late!

3. wafflesomd

I live in the U.S.

The crappy thing is he has another card, same exact model and right next to each other in the build run in terms of serial, same issue.

4. wafflesomd

Just in case anyone asks, I covered the inductor in dielectric grease and popped the heatsink back on. Card is working great.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Nice job! :thumb: