1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Can you remember what your first bit of 'Tech' was?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 26 Feb 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

In my case it was a 6 transistor radio which I got in the late 60's if memory serves and this was fantastic. Suddenly music was potable albeit a bit crackly. But I loved it. Something like this.
    [​IMG]

Next was the Kodak 110 camera which is just a tad different to my modern DSLR with it's interchangeable lenses. Cost an arm and a leg to get the poor snaps developed but it was the overall portability and simplicity that made this so good at the time.
    [​IMG]

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Well I'm only 35 so this may seem modern to some on here lol...

[​IMG]

The Commodore +4. I think my mum got one of these either in '86-87 and we used to sit and play "Fire Ant" together.

3. iancowell

iancowell Minimodder

Think this was my first bit of tech

[​IMG]

Can remember this Amiga mostly though

[​IMG]

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

The camera and radio were presents but I did buy myself The Sharp RP-114 Vertical Turntable. I saw this on a BBC program Tomorrows World and had to have it. Very expensive but as I was on board one her majesties frigates at the time I got it for much less in Gibraltar than I would have paid in the UK.

[​IMG]

6. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I'm not sure what our oldest piece of technology is, it was most likely either a microwave or the electric pump for our garden pond... the pump was the first bit of tech that I modified.

The first computer technology that I had was the Amiga A1000 in the 80's, which was followed by the Amiga 500+ and then a couple of games consoles and then a proper PC system in the early 90's.
    A lot of my fondest memories as a child were on the Amiga 500+, I still have some of the parts and games in a box (though likely broken now, as we recently found out that the house we're renting has no ventilation in the attic... so everything that was in there is water damaged).

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

8. veato

veato I should be working

Probably a Big Trak, Speak and Spell or Tape Walkman. Possibly. There was tech around the home when I was a kid but I don't remember the specific first thing.

9. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Posh git :p

The Dragon 32 was the first major piece of tech my Dad came home with.
    Was closely followed by the C64, then an Amiga 500 (then the 1MB upgrade card!), then a 386sx based PC that was ummm....."liberated" from his work :)

10. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I have no picture to post, but it was probably a Philips tape deck, it was red and black.

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

A few things stick out:
    [​IMG]
    Not the same model of camera, but I mostly remember the disposable flash strip.

[​IMG]
    Good old Tandy. Survived plummeting down the stairs on a lot of occasions, and while not very quick, could drive up or over pretty much anything.

[​IMG]
    Mmmm... pneumatics.

[​IMG]
    "Welcome to Packard Bell Navigator, the easy way to get to know and use you Packard Bell computer..."
    It's actually surprising similar to Windows 8 metro UI :)

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Around 1980 I got one of these
    [​IMG]

And a couple of years later one of these
    [​IMG]

13. daveypro

daveypro Minimodder

zx81 and or the atari 2600 cant remember which came first but we had both.

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Some of the stuff in here is very familiar. I remember the Game & Watch craze well - school break times were spent playing and swapping the games around (Donkey Kong was a firm favourite).

The first bit of tech that I can remember is a 70's TV games console. I can't remember what it was called but it had two analogue joysticks and a selection of built-in preset "sports" games, all in the style of Pong.

This was followed by a handheld electronic Pacman clone which I still have.

[​IMG]

15. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

One of these bad boys:

[​IMG]

We were living in Saudi in the early 80's and Dad got it from one of the Americans he worked with. It was my first exposure to any computer ever (I was only 4 at the time).

We did bring it home with us and I remember disassembling it when I was about 12 to see how it worked :)

16. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Disassembling hardware at the age of 12 should be a legal requirement in every classroom, with lots of homework too.

Imagine how much sharper so many kids would grow up to be if they actually had some modicum of understanding as to how things actually work.

17. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

i don't think anyone ever encouraged me to take everything tech related apart and put it back together, more the opposite, they tried (and failed) to stop me every single time.

18. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I remember me and my 2 brothers used to share 2 original game boys (the giant grey brick ones). Being the youngest one, I rarely got to play. I was probably 3-5ish. I started console gaming with an original NES when I was probably 5-6.

I didn't start using a computer until I was probably closer to 8-9, and I didn't get serious with pc gaming until I got diablo 2 and UT 2004, which I used to run on a pentium 2, can't recall how much ram or gpu it had, and a 20gb hard-drive. I had to uninstall diablo to install ut 2004.

First time I took any electronics apart was said pentium 2 pc, just to see how it all worked, but it probably wasn't for a few years until after I got it.

19. Jim - ASUS

Jim - ASUS What's a Dremel?

Honestly, I think it was my 486, which looked something like this:

[​IMG]

I can't remember having any piece of tech before that, but it feels so odd to have started with a full PC and only subsequently having things like CD players!

20. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

binatone goodness for the TV :

[​IMG]

hitachi radio cassette :

[​IMG]

Those are the earliest techy things I can remember having.