1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Can you use memory from different suppliers in the same motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mecblade, 10 Oct 2010.

1. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

i was having a argument with a fellow teenage tech fiend about whether we could use memory from different Memory Suppliers in the same motherboard.

i.e say we have a set of dominator DDR3 triple channel kit, and we slot them into slots 1, 3 and 5 of availible ram slots on the motherboard. Could we slot a set from.... say G-Skill into slots 2, 4 and 6 and everything works?

thanks for any replies, rep will be given for any replies which are helpful :)

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It'll work ok, but things like the timing have to taken into account as does speed, if everythings matched though it'll all work just fine.. if one set is slower then the faster ram will slow itself down to that speed.

mecblade likes this.
  3. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

ok, thanks for youre reply :)

ch ching, i was correct :D

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

You definitely can, but it's not considered best practice. But your right in that there's no technical limitation.

mecblade likes this.
  5. favst89

favst89 What's a Dremel?

There is no real reason why not, I think it may have more bearing if you have one stick and then want to add another for dual channel mode, also lots of older motherboards didn't like having more than two slots filled. Its also easier on the newer intel boards as you can set the timings individually on each channel.

6. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Theoretically they should work, considering speed and timings are set correctly to match the slowest of them.
    However, in real life situations, you can find from time to time a system that won't POST when you have different memory modules in it. You can test each of them individually and find them working, but together, they just don't like each other.

So, every time you install new memory modules, run memtest once. You never know...

mecblade likes this.
  7. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

i ran 2x 1GB of OCZ gold RAM in my girlfriends dell alongside the 2x 512mb sticks (hitachi if IIRC?) that came in the machine for several years with no problems. of coarse being a dell i couldnt manually set the RAM timings, but it seemed to pick them up ok.

the hitachi junk has since been replaced with more matching OCZ sticks.