1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Cancelling plusnet

Discussion in 'General' started by GeorgeStorm, 23 May 2020 at 09:53.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hi all,
    Having read this thread I thought I'd look at cancelling plusnet (since we're now paying £31/month for ADSL after the 18month contract ran out or something I can't remember, we were in theory only being here a couple of months after it ran out so I didn't care, obviously things have changed a little)

However I can't find any emails about my contract/account at all, and can't seemingly can't login, can't do forget my password as none of my emails seem to work, and so last night I was considering just cancelling the DD, which I know isn't really the done thing, but wondered if it might be ok?

Will try to ring them today but as a general rule I dislike phoning companies at the best of times, let alone when I seemingly have no information about my account other than seeing the DD go every month!

Assuming I can't get anything sorted without having information such as account details, would just cancelling the DD work? (assuming I'm out of the initial contract and on a rolling one now)

Thanks,
    George

Edit:
    As expected they couldn't do anything over the phone without information from me which I don't have, so apparently I can write to them saying I want to cancel, wonders of technology eh.

Last edited: 23 May 2020 at 10:11
  2. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

Isn't the DD payment reference your account no., in some way shape or form?

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Cancelling the DD isn't the same as cancelling your contract - you're just cancelling the payment, you'll still owe Plusnet money. As Jeff mentioned, the DD reference is probably your contract/customer number, so you could try ringing them and quoting that number to see where you get.

Failing that, cancelling the DD will probably result in some kind of missive telling you that you've missed a payment - and, hopefully, somewhere on that missive you'll find your customer reference :)

IanW and Jeff Hine like this.
  4. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

When I cancelled them years ago I had none of my details. I called them, they asked for the phone number address and post code (and my name) and they sorted it there and then on the phone.

IanW likes this.
  5. GeorgeStorm

Yeah if I'd known the phone number I think I could have got it sorted but we've never had a phone connected so I've no idea what it is hah!

6. Jeff Hine

Jeff Hine Nothing special

Never hurts to have a (burner) landline device in a cupboard, somewhere... plug it into the socket & call/'prank' a known/easily remembered mobile no. - the landline no. will appear.

Should also be on any paper bill you get...

wolfticket likes this.
  7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I odn't get a paper bill, for anything these days, as its just so wasteful!

8. GeorgeStorm

Yeah only time I get paper bills is by accident/something rare I didn't even realise existed hah.
    Going to try again tomorrow to see if I can get this sorted, otherwise will write them a letter to post on Tuesday probably!

Sky deal at £20 a month for 4g is too tempting not to give a go.