1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Cannot run 2 montiros at 2560x1440 60Hz

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by xMathiasD, 19 Apr 2015.

1. xMathiasD

xMathiasD What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I'm having a bit of an issue here.

I just bought 2 Dell U2515H monitors, and i must say they are stunning!

But well thats not the problem, the problem is that i can only run one monitor on 2560x1440 60hz and the other monitor on 2560x1440 30hz.
    If i try top go up to 60hz on the second monitor it just goes black, or will flicker, or show some green dots everywhere..

Is it because my setup is not capable of handling the huge load?

This is my current setup:

• Intel Core I3-3220 3.30Ghz
    • MSI Z77A-g43
    • 8gb ram
    • Gigabyte 670GTX (Had the same issue with my 560TI :( )
    • Corsair 650W
    • Windows 8.1 - newest update
    As you can see in the specs, i had the 560TI before, and it was not capable of running 60hz on the second monitor at all, unless i got down to a lower resolution.

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

What cables / connections / whatever are you using? (DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, Displayport etc)

3. xMathiasD

ah ofc..
    Displayport for the primary monitor (the one running 60hz)
    DVI-D Adapter to HDMI for the second monitor, i have tried the HDMI directly, with the same result..

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'm just reading a review - what a pain that the monitor doesn't have a DVI-D port as that would solve your problem I'd guess...

Source - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2515h.htm

That sounds like your problem to me. Have you tried creating a custom resolution?

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You can't. You need a graphics card with 2x DisplayPort, or buy an active powered adapter (costly).

First of all, I don't even know how to were able to UPGRADE a signal from DVI to HDMI. That technically isn't supposed to work, but it could be due to the similarities HDMI has to DVI. Create a custom resolution and it could work. Clearly it doesn't detect the correct resolution as the communication standard for the monitor to the graphics card to talk to each other is different, and you are upgrading the signal, not downgrading.

Buying a DisplayPort cable to HDMI or DisplayPort cable to single link DVI and using it on reverse (like you are doing now with the DVI to HDMI) is not possible at all, as DisplayPort sends it's data not as a continuous signal like DVI or HDMI, but rather in packets (That is why it can be merged into other technology like USB Type-C or Thunderbolt). So if you have that idea, you can scrap it. But assuming it would work, just for sake of argumentation, then the problem is that:

Single-link DVI max resolution is 1920x1200 @ 60Hz
    Dual-Link DVI which can achieve the resolution you need, is hacked up DVI port, where it sends the image in 2 parts (like 2 cables), BUT they are in sync, so you have no image problem and look looks perfect.

However, DisplayPort controller can send a DVI signal, but as DisplayPort is single link, it is physically impossible for it to send a dual link DVI. That is like you have a router that only supports 100Mbps Ethernet, and you want faster. While you can't get a 1Gbps, you are happy with 200Mbps, so you can up an Ethernet cable splinter that connects 2 ports of your router to 1 on your system, and once you plug it you manacle laugh with your crazy mad scientist hair and coincidentally have 2 thunder strikes that happens when you do. It doesn't' work that way. You would need a costly active powered adapter. Basically a converter, which will take the display port signal it gets as packets, collects them until a full frame is drawn at the needed resolution and output it as dual link DVI signal.

So, anyway, you can try a custom resolution with HDMI. But the real proper fix is getting a graphics card with HDMI or better yet 2x DisplayPort

6. xMathiasD

thanks a lot for that explanation!
    But my gfx aldreay have a HDMI port and a display port.. and ofc 2 DVI one DVI-D and one DVI-I

7. GoodBytes

Ok so use HDMI and DisplayPort

8. xMathiasD

But it will cause the same problems :(
    It's kinda strange..

9. GoodBytes

What problem?
    If your graphics card has HDMI AND DisplayPort. Your monitors supports both. So use them. :)

10. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

He's already tried it Goodbytes to no avail. Also converting DVI to HDMI has always been possible, in fact most DVIs now can act exactly like HDMI with audio and everything.

Edit: OP how old is the HDMI cable you're using?

11. xMathiasD

It's brand new.. from last week.. :S

12. GoodBytes

He said he tried HDMI to DVI.
    NOT HDMI to HDMI. He says that he has "problems", but never clarifying what these are.

13. noizdaemon666

Yes he did say he tried HDMI to HDMI. His problem is that one monitor works as intended (60Hz) on DP whilst the other will not (not on DP).

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

2nd psot from OP would suggest he has tried both DVI to HDMI and HDMI to HDMI, and both instances produce the same issue.

Got a bit confusing this thread, :D

*edit*
    beaten to it by noiz.

15. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

yeah... they used to do dvi to hdmi ALL THE TIME back before it was commonly found native port. It's too bad your mobo dosen't have DP connector... you could have ran one off the igp, but since it doesn't you will have the same problem there too using DVI or HDMI, can't support the full res/hz combo. So basically yeah, you are either stuck running one display lower, or you will need to upgrade the GPU again to something like a gtx970 that does have 2x DP if you are wanting to run games spanned across both... or if not you could get a secondary cheapo card like a gt630 or maybe can find a nice used cheap quadro fx1800 or whatever.

[edit]Just confirmed... while the hdmi 1.4 on nvidia can display resolution over 1080p via hdmi, once it does so it ALWAYS will drop to 30hz... though some people have claimed success with custom resolution, but you must use an hdmi cable with 2.0 spec rating. Still seems to be hit and miss with different display, and can be unstable. Might be worth a shot though.

Last edited: 19 Apr 2015
  16. noizdaemon666

IvanIvanovich has the beat advice I feel, a cheap secondary card with DP unless you're gaming.

17. GoodBytes

The internet says that if you use HDMI to HDMI cable, you can get 2560x1440 at 60 Hz.
    You need to create a custom resolution.

18. Mr Evil

Mr Evil What's a Dremel?

1) In order for a DVI-to-HDMI adapter to work, it must be dual-link DVI, as single-link doesn't have enough bandwidth. I've never actually seen such an adapter (I've seen some that claim to be dual-link, but they aren't - they have all the DVI pins present but only half are connected).

2) For a straight HDMI-to-HDMI connection, you need to have a "high-speed" HDMI cable. This is probably all cables sold nowadays, but older cables (~10 years) might not be able to cope.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Have you tried setting a custom resolution and setting the timing to GTF?