1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon EOS 400D, officially.

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Tomm, 24 Aug 2006.

1. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Rubbish. While this CAN be the case with some sensors at high ISO speeds, there's no reason to suggest that a higher density will increase noise. It depends on the sensitivity of the elements that make up the sensor.

Like I said.. All things being equal... I can't imagine Canon just increasing resolution at the expense of sensitivity as a marketing ploy. Digital cameras have been around long enough now - people aren't as easily wowed by megapixel figures, and people will more than ever expect to see results before they buy. They increased density from the 300D to the 350D and also improved noise levels.

I'd be very surprised if Canon have merely tried to hoodwink us with a resolution figure. After all, they're in a very competative arena right now, and to release a dog at this stage would cost them dearly.

Last edited: 26 Aug 2006
  2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

tbh resolution makes little difference going from 8 to 10. i barely notice the 6 to 8MP increase after upgrading from 300d to 30d.

i am somewhat concerned about what will come with the 40D, since they seemed to have levelled off the difference between budget and semipro with this new cam. but then i think so myself - who cares? i have a sweet cam i'm happy with.

(flickr updates btw peeps, i'm on holiday...)

3. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

want to take bets?
    There's a point beyond which for a given size sensor cramming more Mp onto it results in more noise & we're already there with current technology & the APS-C sized sensor (witness Nikon D200 & Sony A100).
    Ever thought why Canon went to 8Mp first rather than 10 straight away?

4. Fod

...to avoid cannibalising 5D sales?

the 350D has less noise than the 300D.

Last edited: 30 Aug 2006
  5. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Worst case,the 10mp has equally noise as the 8mp.. I don't think they would make a camera with more noise then it's prequal. And what about the 16mp camera's on 1.3 ?

6. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

A 1.3 is bigger than a 1.6. Therefore fitting 18.75% more pixels onto the screen.

I'm sure the manufacturing proccess is different too as the size doesn't completly make up for it.

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

As I said in my earlier post, it depends onthe sensitivity of the elements. Make no changes to the technology, and just cram more in there, then yes, as the overall sensitivity of teh chip is lower. I suggest that's not the case with the 400D however.

8. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Nikon, maybe. They still seem quite fond of paper releases. Canon, on the other hand, are getting rather good at their accouncing/releasing. The camera is already in mass production at time of announcement with shop releases happening just weeks later.

9. Lovah

It should be available halfway september.

10. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Review http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos400d/ :)
    The larger buffer and sensor clean would be my favourite features as the 300D only really copes with 3 RAW shots before you have to stop and let the buffer empty.
    10 on the 400D would be ideal!

11. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

would that mean that the 350D's price will fall more?

12. coorz

coorz Miffed

13. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I have an option of a second-hand 20D, or possible one of these 400Ds for my birthday. Which do you reckon I should go for?

14. Lovah

woohooow reviews! The noise increase is so slightly minimal and not noticable in real life use so thats just fantastic! Getting this from the moment I get back from my holiday (end of this month).

Since I can't decide on a lens, so I'm getting the kitlens with a 50mm prime. I'll see later on wich lens I'm getting...

15. Fod

20d without a moment's hesitation.

16. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

Seconded.

Basically you get loads more features, better AF, better noise, more robust body, MUCH better size etc. The only things you'd lose would be 2 MP (inconsequential IMO, especially with the kit lens) and the sensor cleaning (which probably doesn't really work).

P.S. Lovah - the 50mm f/1.8 prime rocks. I got one today and I just love the quality. I did some tests between the kit lens and it really amazed me - really shows you what's possible. I can't afford to be a lens snob though :-(

17. RTT

RTT #parp

Interesting, I was kinda waiting for someone to say what I thought about saying. Considering I sometimes find it tough to shift dust & dirt with a pretty good rocket blower, I saw the video about the self cleaning thing I was left feeling a bit... ":eyebrow:"

edit: seconding the 50mm f/1.8 love :D

edit 2: agreeing with Tomm on 20d vs 400d

edit 3: i like ending on number 3

18. coorz

coorz Miffed

Lovah checkout the Dutch 400D thread.
    btw just got back from a week holiday in 'De Haan' :cooldude:

19. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

This whole sensor cleaning thing seems like a bit of a gimmick to me. It's not removing the dust from the body so it's still going to be in there.

My next body will be something in the 30D range. I can't handle the size of the 350D/400D and I'm after something with a more robust feel.

20. Fod

no, it DOES remove dust. it has an ultrasonic wave vibration thingy just like every other dust cleaning solution on DSLRs out there right now.

it's just that in addition to that, if there IS any dust out there that will only be removed with a sensor swab or something similar, you can have it remove the dust automatically in cam.