1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Canonical abandons Unity, Mir, Ubuntu Touch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Apr 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

It was an interesting idea but destined to fail. Even Microsoft have failed to compete with android and iOS so It's pretty unlikely that this would have achieved sufficient market share to sustain itself.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Seems like it's the season for companies announcing 'we cocked that one up didn't we?'

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Maybe the Trump, Putin, Brexit, etc, etc (etc...) effect? These seem like good times to bury bad news:

"Oh no, a company designed software that was rubbish and/or compromised my privacy in some way... Oh wait, never mind, I just heard we're on the brink of war with Spain."

Last edited: 6 Apr 2017
  5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I guess the one big advantage to this all being open source is that if there is a way to make it work, someone will probably mess with it until they find it, and if there isn't then it's less likely to be completely lost until the hardware catches up.

6. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It's a shame this didn't gain traction. I believe they had the right idea with Unity, convergence and Mir.