1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Canonical & Linspire to Conspire: A new Future for Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tyinsar, 8 Feb 2007.

1. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

2. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Until every manufacturer, be it software or hardware, can build drivers for their kit then linux will never take on MS.

Also, MS has a HUGE budget for RnD,patching,coding,et al, where as linux has? nothing in comparison. MS push it forward, and linux steals it from them when MS has done all the RnD for the software.

Also, as office is the largest selling,most profitable bit of software MS make, until OO or anything else for that matter becomes as good, as integrated and as easy to use as MS Office, Linux will never have a place on a desktop, let alone in an office environment (can we say Active Directory anyone? = yes its built on LDAP -- but there is nothing out there that is ANYWHERE near as good as AD)

3. Tyinsar

:hehe: most of MS's "innovations" have appeared in other places first. The open nature of Linux etc. mean anyone can come up with new ideas and introduce them. It takes a unified structure to quickly standardize such things but the same unified structure stifles many other innovations - at least until someone else produces & popularizes them - then they are copied.

Edit: This partnership actually creates a larger Commercial structure to work on these things. This means the ideas can come from anywhere then the new larger unified structure can standardize them. IF done right this could be a great thing.

4. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Yes, it could be, but MS has the organisation already there, the teams in place, the experts on hand and the like, to be fair, the only thing holding back MS is legacy support, for which linux is known to be bad :p

MS may take ideas from other places, but then they spend many millions making it better and researching it more... maybe the basic idea was not theirs, but they do put a lot of work into making the final product better than what they took.

5. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

There is no perfect OS.
    Linux has its problems (driver support) but so does windoze (poor track record on innovation, viruses/spyware, 3+ year development cycles) and Apple (few developers, DRM)

Linux does not have the extent of hardware support for the very reason that it's not as popular ON THE DESKTOP (open source has, hands down, the lion's share of the server market). Desktop OEMs don't want to spend the time supporting a minority. Increase linux's market share and the hardware support will come. This has been the experience to date and every long-time linux user knows this.

I think the CNR+Ubuntu (+CNR+Fedora +CNR+SuSE) tie up is really exciting. This may be the beginnings of what Ian Murdock has been saying for a long time. I welcome the move and hope to see CNR expand and become the de-facto standard GUI-based package manager.

6. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Microsoft have stolen all there ideas from elseware Aero? 3d desktop?
    Linux distributions are repaied almost daily weather it be buy a company of a user where as M$ repairs things... well... um... randomnly.
    Hardware supporters are now supporting linux (ATI, Nvidia, VIA, ID (quake) epic(Unreal), sony (ps3/2) to name a few)
    Linux allows fredomn and choice whereas M$ want to control everything and know everybodys doing (identity thieft?)
    you pay for one copy of windows and can only use 1 copy.
    You download linux and use it legally on many, many pc's.

7. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Just to put things in perspective:

Windows has 96% of the market.

Apple OSX has 2.5%

That leaves just 1.5% for linux distributions. I personally will move over when they support games :)

8. Tyinsar

That's what I'm hoping for. Let's face it companies won't invest in Linux unless they can make money. The current situation with Linux makes this difficult in several ways:
    1) Linux culture: "everything should be free" (hardest problem to solve)
    2) Market share: tiny on the desktop
    3) Distribution systems: hundreds of Linux distros with many different package systems.
    4) Games: Proprietary Direct X games harder to port

A move to a universal package system with a mix of free and commercial packages (which is what CNR is) would solve problem #3 and in doing so could help problem #2 (because it would make it easier for noobs and those without the desire or time to learn all the intricacies of Linux). Increasing the market share would help with games and the influx of new users could change the culture.

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Now, lets pay all the Linux developers 5$ / hour they work on improving just the kernel & distro's (not counting al the OSS packages)... I bet you're budget estimate of millions on the MS part is nullified by that... Money thrown at something doesn't say a thing...

And MS has stolen 99% of what they sell... After MS-DOS the innovition in MS is far sought, they just put things in an other jacket, and promoted/merchandised it. And TBH, that is a great buisness model. I can think of 10 things right now that MS has "borrowed" from Linux... But that isn't the point.

I think you should install OO and give it a fair chance... And the Belgian government is moving to .odt, so I think there might be some place in an office environment for OSS...
    And AD is about the only thing where MS has got the edge. But once again, stolen from OSS. Ok, they improved it, but you have to admit, they made it so that they allmost force every client into MS software, which isn't a decent way of doing things...

OT: This is a great step in the right direction, but not until the majority of the PC users start to even get notice of what Linux is, and what it can offer for Joe Average, will Linux step up.

10. DMAthlon

DMAthlon What's a Dremel?

wow, i almost peed my drunken pants when i read that. I use ubuntu as my sole operating system and plan to until i find anything better (pshhh as if.)

11. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

To be fair and honest
    I would be more then happy to pay for a pritty box containing a pritty cd that contains linux software like game and software.

Tags: