1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Canonical promises Ubuntu Edge-like convergent smartphone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 May 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Ugh. At this stage I'll believe it when I see it.

3. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Sorry Mark, I was excited two years ago, when I put money where your mouth was. The kickstarter would have been a great springboard to launch, even though it 'failed', it was record breaking and had huge media attention. Still got another 6 months before we might see it? Don't bother. I'm a linux using tech geek that has had his patience and excitement exhausted.

4. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Meanwhile, over in the cold lands of Finland, the Jolla tablet has been minorly delayed to July from it's expected launch in May, and along the ride, they've been pretty transparent on what's going on, repeatedly shown progress made on actual devices (as opposed to emulators). I'm pretty excited to receive mine, I must say...

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've actually played with an Ubuntu phone: the entry-level Bq Aquaris E4.5 Ubuntu Edition. It doesn't have the convergence feature, but it's the same OS - and, speaking as someone who uses Ubuntu as his daily-driver operating system and has done for years, is damn-near unusable. Imagine taking an ancient Android build - say, 1.5 - and sticking a mash-up of Sailfish and webOS's user interfaces on top. Ta-da: you've got Ubuntu Touch. It's not without a certain charm, but I wouldn't give up Android for it just yet - and that's on a phone costing under £150. With this thing likely to fetch £500 or more? Not for me, ta. I'll try again in a year or two.

6. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

"cum"? Giggidy!

7. theshadow2001

Well I think this thread sums things up. Those excited about the original edge, those open to a real alternative to android and those that use Ubuntu. None too excited about this "announcement" .

And of course innuendo. Where would the world be without that.

I think it highlights Canonical's failure to deliver on anything outside of their desktop and server OS and their poor PR and marketing in general.

Gareth do you think the BQ's lack of any sort of compute power spoiled your perception of the Ubuntu phone OS or did you think it was just poorly put together/laid out. In other words, would you like it if it was on high spec hardware and ran faster.

8. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I know Windows 10 isn't exactly the same thing but with the syncing between devices and realtime updates maybe you could see this being looked at again with Android as an alternative. I don't think we are there yet but we may be close and the one or two year may be accurate.

9. Gareth Halfacree

To be honest, the quality of the handset (well, aside from the dire camera) wasn't really an issue. The software just ain't ready for prime-time. It feels like it needs another year or so in the oven - much like Android 1.5, really. It doesn't help that there's knack-all apps available for it at the moment, of course.

10. theshadow2001

That's a pity