1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Canonical teases Ubuntu for Android

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 22 Feb 2012.

1. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

although your somewhat right in what your saying, for most people it will be confusing. Android isn't GNU/Linux (whole system is NOT linux) but is an OS that runs on Linux (a linux kernel). Ubuntu and Android run the same (linux) kernel and this is where the two systems communicate, But Android isnt Linux or GNU/Linux. Ubuntu IS Linux or GNU/Linux.

And although i just did a geekburst i'm a linux mint (distro based on ubuntu) user and have never used the cli/cmd since i had it. I have found linux mint to have been the easiest OS (including windows) i have used.

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

With regards to the kernel business, I thought Android was a fork of the linux kernel, and this version of ubuntu is the distro running on top of the Android Kernel instead of the main linux one?

3. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

This is nice, but personally I am more interested in the "tablet" that runs honeycomb when used as a tablet, but has a dock with a nice x86 cpu and additional battery inside so that when it is docked it runs windows 7 (or 8).

Personally I use too many windows based programs to work with Linux, as nice a concept as this is

4. Mark_Skeldon

Mark_Skeldon What's a Dremel?

One of the first things I needed to do after installing ubuntu 11.10 was use the terminal to install curl and x11rdp. Can't see the problem with it to be honest.

I have to say that I've never ever used a distro of Linux that I haven't had to use the terminal on. Why is using the terminal a problem? :S

5. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Using the terminal isn't a problem. It's actually a really quick way to do things and its not that hard or scary. But you dont have to use it, some linux distros can be used without even knowing what the terminal is. Let's be honest average Joe doesn't want to use the terminal, they want an app.

6. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Yo dawg, I heard you like operating systems...

First impressions are that this is useless but cool. I have a feeling that it would be more practical to have a dedicated smartphone and desktop, sharing files between them via a cloud service.

Also, where does this leave Ubuntu's slow march to being a touchscreen-friendly desktop? The Unity interface (with a few tweaks) would seem well-suited to a smartphone. Why run Android underneath?

7. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

Get an N900, install easy-debian and you've got debian support with an LXDE desktop. This sort of thing has existed for a while now. Also you get access to the thousands of applications in the debian arm package repository.

Tags: Add Tags