1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors cant back up!

Discussion in 'General' started by brianpodskalny, 24 Jan 2005.

1. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

got a 89 chevy pickup that just threw a rod in the engine (305v8, th700 trans). was driving it home to park it till spring when i can rebuild, and went to backup into the driveway. nothing. wont engage reverse. all forward gears fine, 4wd goes on and off fine. we just had a bit of a blizard and i couldnt park on the street, so i had to pull it into the driveway, now i cant get it out unless i can talk someone into giving me a pull (its uphill go figure)

i can handle rebuilding an engine, but i dunno if my tranny is going now also and it wont be worth the effort it if they are both bad.

any input you guys have is appreciated. seems i am in deep doo doo as this is the only time of the year that i NEED 4wd to get around and now its toast.

2. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Can you not push the car uphill?

Yeah it's not easy, but I have pushed a car uphill before...

3. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

yeah im sure i could but not practical

come to find out i threw a piston rod in the engine, and itll explode real soon.

im hoping that its lust a linkage in the trans thatll be an easy fix so i can salvage the important part of the powertrain (4wd system)

engines are easy to find but not when you need them (they roll around eventually.)

im trying to enroll in wyotech in the summer, might be able to get some use outta the thing parts for some kinda frankenstine thingy. but i gotta be able to get it down there. *sigh*

i dunno but im not having a good time.

any input from you guys in the states, and relevant info or experiences in something like this would be appreciated.

4. penski

penski BodMod

Gearboxes, like steering boxes, appear to be a black art until you crack one open and realise its just a big jigsaw...Get the manual for your box, open it and check what you see against the diagram.

That works on Manuals...you got an auto or a manual?

*n

5. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

4spd Auto. (700R4)
    I will ask around at work to see what most likely went out on it
    If it's the linkage , you could pop the shift cable off at the trans lever and shift the trans by pulling the lever into reverse before starting the engine ... CAUTION , you will be able to start it in gear, keep foot on brake if you try this
    DB

Tags: