1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't boot from Raptor HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lowsidex2, 4 Dec 2004.

1. Lowsidex2

Lowsidex2 Minimodder

Giga-byte 8anxp-d / Win2k / SATA 74gig raptor

I'm unable to boot from a 74gigg SATA WD raptor drive. After the initial file copying, windows(win2k) hangs at the start of the first loading screen.(the black screen witht he progress bar at bottom)

Tried and failed connections:
    Used Intel SATA Raid Mode
    Used Intel SATA AHCI Mode
    Used PATA emulator (for lack of a better term)
    Used SiliconImage SATA controller
    (no problems finding the disk during install or in windows installed on another disk)

So I tried other hard drives:
    WD 120meg SATA 7200rpm - works fine
    WD 120meg IDE 7200rpm - works fine
    Max 120meg SATA 7200rpm - works fine

So I tried other OS:
    Win2k - hangs at first loading screen
    WinXp home - hangs during install (first graphical screen showing install progress)

Other tries:
    Deep diag on the drive - no problems found
    Formatted drive with different chunk sizes
    Formatted drive with multiple partitions
    Copied working install from one disk to raptor but kept getting BSOD(inaccessible boot device)
    F8 to try altenate start ups but same things

I was going to try one of those custom windows installers posted in here but just go tired of trying. The only other thing I haven't tried is using a different MOBO but that's just not worth the hassle of setting up.

I'm not really expecting a solution by postiong here, more or less just ranting. Must be some wierdo combination of mobo, drive, and os. (and yes, my bios is current)

2. Kensei

Kensei What's a Dremel?

Maybe asking the obvious here, but.

Did you try it without any preloaded SATA drives, just using the native firmware support on your Mobo?

3. Mimic

Mimic What's a Dremel?

i had this as well, i have 2 raid setups on my system:

2x 74gig raptors
    2x 80gig maxators

i could get winxp pro to install on the maxators no prob but it wouldn't go on the raptors with the suppled raid drivers that came with my mobo, so in the end i downloaded updated sata drivers from abit (my motherboard supplier).

when u say hang u mean just stop, the screen would just pause, mine always seemed to stop on either 26mins or 15mins remaining. weird but all sorted now.

also make sure u have the right sata drivers for ur controler

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Been getting raptor problems today with this Abit AV8 board, it would load windows then reboot and fail to find an OS on the drive :/ No amount of bios tweaking seems to sort it so i gave up and used an IDE harddisk instead.

Uhh.. cant remember what i was gonna say now... oh yea: tried updating the bios to the latest?

And what chipset is that gigabyte board? Nforce3?

5. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

sounds like an SATA driver problem to me. you did follow the win2k/xp "press <key> to install SATA/SCSI drivers", correct? if not, then there is your problem right there. SATA isnt hard to get working, its just extremely easy to f**k up. :waah:

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You dont need to if it's native southbridge though, only if its 3rd party controller.

7. Lowsidex2

Lowsidex2 Minimodder

If you read my original post you'll see that I've tried the HD on the intel southbridge in raid, ahci(using F6 to load drivers during install) and the PATA mode that doesn't need drivers. I've also tried it on the Sil3114 controller all with the same results. Yes, I've used latest mobo drivers, yes I've got latest bios. I've literally tried over a dozen install combinations of controller, fomatting, partitioning, and partition copying from a good, clean install from another disk.

I havn't had any trouble accessing the drive, windows finds it just fine. Just can't boot off it. It's just the damnest thing.... gonna RMA it for a another one but I doubt it'll make a difference.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Sorry, no idea then :(

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Low level format it.

Searched around and this seems the only way to get it to work. I just did mine and fingers crossed it's working ok now. Even seagate seatools works with it but takes about 4 hours.

EDIT: No still screwed. Check your firmware. The "21" firmware the older drive has got doesnt seem to work, but the newer "27" firmware does (well my 27 drive doesnt have any problems).

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Dec 2004