1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Can't figure this diode problem out.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by thordiddy, 31 Jan 2005.

1. thordiddy

thordiddy What's a Dremel?

Hey guys I cant figure out this diode problem.

[​IMG]

Using load line analysis, determine the voltage V for a) V1 = 5V and V2 = 0V b) V1 = 5V and V2 = 5V

thanks

2. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Assuming v is the voltage across the resistor and the diodes are ideal silicon diodes, then your answers are:

a) 4.3V
    b) 4.3V

3. thordiddy

thordiddy What's a Dremel?

Thanks a lot.

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Not if you use load line analysis. The forward voltage drop depends on the diode current, see if
    this helps any.

5. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

I seem to have overlooked that part, But certainly much more information will need to be provided that just the reverse bias saturation current. I checked out the link you provided and was surprised to read that it this can't be solved, only approximately using code, albeit a pretty good approximation it would seem. I would think graphically should be more than accurate enough.

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

That's for sure. Either the diode graph or some points on it like those given here .

Data is supposed to be for a 1N4148, from here, and there's a download with info on LLA. I'll pass & use SPICE simulation instead. :naughty:

7. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

Whats the point of all this anyway? The chart that were to carefully trying to extract exact values from will change from one device to the next, also with temperature, humidity, altitude, phase of the moon... did I miss anything? Any circuit that relies on an exact value of a diode will most certainly be unreliable when taken out of the lab.