1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Can't See Other Devices

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TeenGeek, 25 Apr 2014.

1. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

Hey all, I just got a new laptop today (Aorus X7, with windows 8.1) and I have a question. I have a desktop PC that I used for a long time as my only PC, so it has quite a lot of data. I have Steam games, etc. and I want to transfer some of that stuff to this laptop. The only problem that I have with it right now is that I can't see that main PC, so I can't quickly transfer the files over WiFi. Any help would be awesome! A quick trip around the google didn't turn much up for me, but it could be that I don't know what the actual term for what I'm trying to do is.

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Go to network and sharing center, make sure your network location is home and not public. Then click advanced sharing settings and make sure you have network discovery and sharing turned on. There are a couple other settings in there you may need to muck around with as well.

TeenGeek likes this.
  3. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

Going on from this, make sure that the folder(s) you wish to share are actually being shared. Assuming your desktop is running Windows 7, this guide will show you how to share folders.

The other thing worth mentioning is that transferring files over WiFi may not be as fast as you think and it may be worth having both PCs connected to your router over ethernet for transferring larger files, especially if all your equipment is gigabit capable.

TeenGeek likes this.
  4. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

^^Thanks guys!!! I got it going over an ethernet cable directly connected to both computers, but it crashed at about 450 out of 500 GB, which was a pain, as I needed to leave at 4AM this morning. The folder is definitely shared, I needed it for a different project a while back. Thanks again!

5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

If you're copying files, I'd recommend using robocopy instead of the standard copy/paste method. It's threaded and more importantly it can be resumed if it breaks.