1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Capcom bundles backdoor with Street Fighter V update

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Sep 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'm sorry, they did what?

On a game on Steam, where you can't just say, "Sorry, no updates."?

I'm not usually litigious in nature, but I hope SFV-PC gamers sue the Hell out of them for that stunt.

Guess I won't be buying any more Capcom games if they're going to try tricks like that.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

haha that title actually needed thinking about :D

Would have been easy to say "Capcom opens backdoor with Street Fighter V update"

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

The parallels with the Sony/BMG rootkit affair - I seem to remember that it cost Sony millions in refunds and legal costs back when it happened.

While I'd imagine that the install base for Street Fighter is much smaller than the number of people affected by the Sony rootkit, it could still hurt Capcom badly if someone gets a class action lawsuit together...

I'd like to know who thought this was a good idea in the first place. I know piracy is bad (m'kay?), but did nobody consider that compromising the security of paying customers' PCs might actually be worse? :sigh:

5. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Member

Well of course not. It is well known that the legit customers are the ones who suffer.