1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Car Audio.

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 11 Oct 2003.

1. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Ok, a few questions for our resident Audio/Car nuts.

With the 156 creeping close to the end of its life with me its time to start thinking install for the spider :)

I've pretty much decided on a couple of head units that I like.
    Either a Blaupunkt Los Angeles, however, I will need to see this stereo in person before I make any decisions, or the other head unit is a Rockford Fosgate which is double the price. However, I need to take into consideration the cooling situation problem I have in the 156. My kenwood gets very hot and it effects the sound on a regular basis. The Rockford Fosgata unit has no internal amplifiers. Just high power RCA outputs. 8v, compared to the usual 3-4v. Which means the stereo won't get as hot as a unit with built in amplifiers.

Now then, on to amplifiers. I like the look of focal component speakers a lot. @ ~£400 for a decent set they aint cheap though.
    Apart from Focals, which other speakers have good output. (remember, my ears are used to B&W speakers now!)

Amplifiers, I've heard nothing but good about genesis amplifiers. But again, like Focal speakers these are very expensive.
    I will only need a singe amplifier, as a spider only has front speakers, no rears.

However, between the seats there is a sub 10" I think it is, and apparently the Alfa Romeo one is crap. So I'd like a decent 10" sub to go in there, I hear good things about the Diamond subs, and again, a genesis monoblock amp.

So questions are..

Decent speakers apart from Focals.
    Decent amplifiers (to run the focals)
    Decent Subs. (I think they'll have to be free air subs)
    Decent ampl (to run the sub)

Phew...

Oh and....

"The End Of An Era"
    [​IMG]

2. samuelellis

samuelellis New Member

lo phat

ok for the amps this amy be the thing you need

a dls a5, its a 3ch amplifier that is about the same level as genesys kit, just it will be eaier to setup

for a sub i owuld reccomed sommat lika diamond m6 (get the dual 4ohm vioce coil so you can wire it up to show the dls a 2 ohm load) then for fronts focals are good but they can get a bit brash

thought about some dynudio speakers?

3. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

On the head unit side of things go with the Rockford fosgate if you can afford it you won't be disapointted. For the rest whatever Sam said.

4. samuelellis

samuelellis New Member

hehe

me is teh audio geek

& phat

dont even think of sony xplod

it may be worthwhile lookign for sone of the older holy grail sq units (the ones that are so good they still outshine modern units)

/me strokes blaupunkt new york

5. samuelellis

samuelellis New Member

6. westeee

westeee New Member

yer dont think about them ive been given an amp and a sub , the amp dosent really have much power(drives my 6x9s fine) and the sub dosent do the lower range's

7. :: Phat ::

Do I have "Thick Kevin" tattoed on my forhead :) ?

8. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

So I can cruise in mah Vauxhall Nova gettin' down wit mah homies to da beat of Doctor Dre innit?

nb. The above post was intended to be sarcastic.

9. Johnny Napalm

Johnny Napalm New Member

Hey don't dis Novas - a twin-Calibra turbo engined one managed to do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds at Santa Pod today ! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

10. :: Phat ::

We'll continue to diss novas, we just won't diss the choice of engine!

11. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

Just remember use plenty of Dynamat, or other sound deadening material, it make s awhole lotta difference, especially if theres no annoying rattle going on.

12. :: Phat ::

2 Things happened today....

1 good... 1 bad

The good.... I now 0wn0r this - [​IMG]

the bad, it would appear that the original Alfa unit has a code... and it would appear the garage never gave me the code card.....

bugger.

13. samuelellis

samuelellis New Member

phat got a tip for you mate,

get along to talkaudio.co.uk, register as a forum memember there is some stock clearence from caraudiodirect going on, may be sommat you like

i still say get a good pair of components in the front (6.5inch if they will fit) a amp liek the DLS a5 & a diamond M6 sub

there si a bloke on there who makes some mind blowing sub box's on there who if you pay him will design a box to hold the sub of your choice int he place the spider already has (stay away from infinate baffle subs)

Tags: