1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Car choice

Discussion in 'General' started by DougEdey, 13 Dec 2006.

1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

My mum has said that I can have her old Citroen Xantia (1993 2.0i SX) for £100 when I pass my test. The problem is that insurance is £1300-£1500 minimum on it (Fully comp with £600 excess - TP)

The other option I have is selling it off (fairly good condition) and getting a dirt cheap group 1 car with cheap insurance.

Anyone got any opinion on what I should do?

2. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

sell it quick before the suspension explodes... in all seriousness i wouldnt have such a big car for a first car as it uses a lot of fuel, insurance is high, tax is expensive, citroen specific bits arent cheap. apart from more room i cant think of a plus right now. i guess the xantia would be pretty safe tho

what you may find tho if you sell it is that buying a small older car wont work out much cheaper insurance wise as the insurance is onyl really cheap on new cars with more advanced security and safety features. you will of couse benefit from cheaper tax and fuel use

3. DougEdey

Well, I looked up Seat Marbella insurance wise and got £600-700

4. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Xantias are good cars, but expect problems with the brakes, alternator, suspension, etc...also being a 2.0 it will use a lot of petrol.

Diesel ones are alright though.

5. thestig198

thestig198 Artificially Intelligent

I'd sell it and get something smaller definitely.

6. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

have a look at ecarinsurance (google it) before you decide to sell the car, i got insured on my g40 (insurance group 15) for 450 tpft at 21 with 7 points on my license.

everywhere else including checking moneysupermarket which came me some of the cheapest quotes were all 1500+

7. DougEdey

Jesus, they're Cheap £550~ TPFT! May keep the car then, only needs to last a bit.

8. grungedead

grungedead Minimodder

:-D you get breakdown cover for free too with 5 callouts, just imagine the cost to insure a car with a smaller engine then you'd be laugh

im sure you could sell the xantia for profit, but you know its history as your mum has had it so you can generally tell how much of a money put it is going to be

9. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

ecarinsurance are very cheap, I expect because they've only just started out in the UK and are building up a customer base by giving ultra-cheap premiums. I got a quote for £500 less than my renewal from Bell with them :D They also offer unlimited days of full cover across the EU and a few other countries which some insurers don't.

10. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

I'm with eCar also, very cheap and great service

11. merlin 65

merlin 65 What's a Dremel?

with being young its bad , you cant have a big car high insurance , you cant have a pocket rocket cos they say your a boy racer so therefore high insurance so you need a small car , and i hate saying this but lets say 1100 cc . i know its a motor bike with 4 wheels crap cc an all but while your that newly passed driver , your prime for picking with insurance companies cant think of a car but i,ve heard now they do a package where you get no claims also when driving someone elses car ie: mums this way you get the valuable NC discount and you get to drive a car on the cheap probably anyways hope this helps and good luck with the test

12. merlin 65

merlin 65 What's a Dremel?

lol just read it properly £600 TP that aint bad for a new driver , i was quoted £1000 on a 2.0 espero and i was 38 when they quoted that with 3 points

13. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

If you're a guy, then have a sex change. The amount saved on car insurance will pay for the operation and a wardrobe full of pretty dresses.

14. ChriX

ChriX ^

Another vote for ecar from me, I just hope it stays low/goes even lower at renewal!

Tags: