1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Car Head unit not lighting up - help reqd.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by thb, 30 Jul 2002.

1. thb

thb What's a Dremel?

I have a problem with the front of my Clarion DRB3376E CD Unit unit.
    [​IMG]
    Basically, only some of the buttons light up (red box), but the buttons on the right and the screen don't (yellow box).

Last night i opened up the face panel to see if there was anything obvious, but no - I guess the bulbs have just blown through me throwing the face about a bit too much.

[​IMG]
    some of the leds legs look a bit burnt, but these are the ones that work - the one's that don't work look better.

But as I have a half lit face, i'm now thinking of replacing the clear bulbs that are there with some blue leds - anyone know how tricky this would be?

here's a pic of the back of the board showing the five leds on the board
    [​IMG]

and a close up of the existing leds
    [​IMG]

anyone know what sort of LED I should replace these with?

also, I'll need to remove the lcd screen so I can replace the blubs under it - how tricky would this be?
    [​IMG]

Any help is appreciated.

thb

2. zz300

zz300 What's a Dremel?

What you're referring to as LED's look more like grain-of-wheat bulbs to me (the orange/red ones having a small plastic cap to make the color). Can you test the voltage available to them ?

3. GreySpaceAlien

GreySpaceAlien What's a Dremel?

I agree, they are very similar to a bulb I have here which is not LED but a grain style. It would explain why it blew out, as normally LED's are MUCH more stable than incandescents.

4. thb

thb What's a Dremel?

cheers,

I have to admit that they didn't look like LED's to me - that grain of wheat description fits them well - and yes they orange/red thing is a rubber cap which slips over the bulb.

How would i test to see what voltage the bulbs have available to them?

thb

5. zz300

zz300 What's a Dremel?

With the unit on, a voltmeter across the legs should give you their voltage.
    This may be helpful, while it's not your model # it is a similar unit and likely uses many of the same components.

6. thb

thb What's a Dremel?

hmm.. that's for the link - sort of useful - but I don't fancy blowind out the LCD chip - I'm probably more likely to do it that him - he's an engineer !

Anyway, i'm now considering replacing my headunit with another model, but I'll keep the old one and mod it :D

thb

7. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

my head deck just recently died.. it was a wicked excuse to go out and get a MP3 deck.. i picked up the JVC sx980.. awesome deck at a awesome price..

http://store.yahoo.com/simplycheap/jvckdcdrecwi1.html

theres the same place i got mine, cheapest around 172.99$

as for your old one, put it back together and rig it up to some speakers and a old PSU for a indoor radio.. :) build a lil box to house all the stuff.. :)

-scoob8000

8. thb

thb What's a Dremel?

Now there's a plan :D

9. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

even better, use a old mid tower case or something of that nature.. :)