1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Car help needed...

Discussion in 'General' started by Awoken, 29 Aug 2020.

1. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

I've been having some problems with my car (2009 Ford Focus Zetec 1.8L Petrol Manual - battery drains if it's not used for 48-72 hours) and did a fuse check. I wish I'd taken a photo first. I think all of them are back in the right place but I'm not sure about the one labelled 'E'.

Does anyone have a mk 2/mk 2.5 Ford Focus? If so, could you post a picture of your engine fuse box (it's under the bonnet on the right hand side (looking at the car from the front) and opens from the back of the box):
    [​IMG]

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Awoken likes this.
  3. Awoken

Thank you RedFlames, that's so helpful!

4. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

LOL, that's a 3 not an E :naughty: as in a 3 Amp fuse.

5. Awoken

Thank you! This fixed the power steering issue but the battery had also had it (it had a warrenty for 3 years but it came with the car - which was bought used - 3 years ago). I replaced the battery myself in Halfords car park but 100 miles later I was still getting a recurring error: U1900 - all dials failed and all the lights came on (thankfully it would still drive so I was able to get home). Possible issue with the communications cluster - quote for a replacement from my local garage was £450-500 (including labour and fitting). Decided to do some more research first and found the most common fault was degredation of the solder on the plug in the back of the instrument panel. After a little soldering practice I pulled the instrument cluster, stripped it and resoldered the plug (original solder was failing). No problems since. I've still got to line up the needles properly but it looks like my Focus is back in shape. Drove it for ~120 miles yesterday and had no problems at all.

wyx087 likes this.
  6. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Brilliant fix, love it.

7. Awoken

Needles are lined up after a little manual fiddling (had to strip the instrument cluster again so I could get at the guages, remove them all, connect the stripped board to the car and turn the engine an and off then reinsert each needle - pain in the rear end but not technically difficult). I checked they were still working properly by running the ford diagnostic guage sweep - no problems to report. All instrument lights are working correctly and no trouble after a weeks worth of driving. I'm still suspicious that it'll refuse to start at some point but so far it's golden. Reset all the codes using my OBD II. Fingers crossed.

Fizzban and Arboreal like this.